Hi from the UK

NickD

Supporter
Hi, just taken the plunge and joined. I'm thinking of a Southern GT build in the UK. Was looking at a Cobra but think I want something a little more on the edge.
Thanks. Nick.

Hey Nick, plenty of helpful people here and the enthusiasts club is worth joining too - all the makes have their weakness's/strengths, also you don't have to get everything off one manufacturer. Might be worth popping your location (in the uk) on your profile as there are meets in various areas.

NickD

Supporter
Thanks Paul and Malcolm. I'm hoping to complete the build myself being an ex aerospace engineer. What you you think I should budget for a mid range car, Tornado or Southern GT. I don't intend to track day it, just for the pleasure of driving.

Hi Nick,

It’s a difficult one because really in the end it comes down to personnel choice. The Southern GT guys will say buy a Southern GT, the Tornado guys will say buy a Southern GT ;)

I have a Southern GT which like you will be for road use as my driving talent runs out at the end of the motorway and I've seen some of these guys drive. My build is longer than most having bought my engine 7 years ago and chassis around 5. In those years I have spoken and listened to a lot of owners of different makes of cars, and although no expert gained a lot more knowledge than I had.

If I had my time over again I would buy a Southern GT no hesitation not just because of a superb product but because of the old saying "people buy from people" and with true enthusiasts like Mick Adam and the rest of the Southern GT gang I personally felt part of an extended family, not just a business transaction.

My personnel advice would be speak to as many people as possible, sometimes it is easier to express your opinions face to face rather than on a public forum, and don’t underestimate the advantage of Southern GT being relatively near to you they need to move further up North :)

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the mad house Nick
As mentioned above the GT40 Enthusiast club has a few monthly meetings around the country.

Being in Bracknell you are close to the Surrey meeting which takes place on the second Wednesday of each month, at the Silvermere golf course restaurant called the Inn on the Lake

So pop down and meet a bunch of us this Wednesday from about 7:30 till they chuck us out!

Ian

NickD

Supporter
Thanks Nick, appreciate the information. I'd be very interested in what you think you have or will have spent by the time the projects finished. ?

Hi Nick,

Welcome on board, and as others have said you will not go wrong with a Southern GT, a cracking bit of kit from a bloody nice bunch of people.

Paul

Back