How do I remove the plastic from sheetmetal.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I am putting new stainless steel panels on the front and underside of my GTD (the ali ones don't look nice without a LOT of work). My problem is that the sheets of stainless steel must have been sitting around for some time and the plastic film that was put on to protect the finish refuses to quit doing it's job. I can not remove a piece bigger than 1/4" square at a time because the plastic tears instead of coming off in a sheet. Is there a chemical that I could put on that would penetrate the plastic and weaken the glue on the plastic so that I could get the film off?

Chris Duncan

Supporter
HEAT

You need a heat gun, or a heavy duty hair dryer, or set the pieces over a heater. Heat the plastic coating, it will soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Rick !!!
When I have that trouble at work, I use laquer thinner. It takes only a couple of moments usually for it to release. After it is off, I use a rag soaked in the thinner to remove any residual glue. I hope this will work for you also.
Regards Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
I used a Carb cleaner called Cyclo carb clean. It has MEK and Xylene in it and works pretty good. Take the panels outside to do it though. This stuff is flammable and VERY bad for you.

I agree with Howard , Carb Cleaner is very effective in removing/softening sticky or stubborn glue . It cleans/ de greases many other items, just be careful of painted sufaces as it also does a very good job of attacking them as well...oh yes and it's a bit flammable as well!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rick,

If all else fails, try "GOO GONE".

It is made specifically for removal
of glue residue, works well, and is
available at most hardware stores.

Bill

I have found hot water poured on the panels helps to remove the covering then thiners to remove the glue. A polish with Braso and Scotch Brite pads if the stainless has a brushed finish but rubbing in the brushed direction.

Try rubbing alcohol. We use it to clean similar material in the printing industry off of aluminum sheets. It is also a good degreaser that dries quickly and does not leave a film if wiped off while drying. You may have to put it on liberally and let it soak for a few minutes so the glue starts to desolve before wiping with cheese cloth. Joe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all of the replies... Heat gun worked best for me because the plactic film was old and brittle, a little heat to soften the glue and the plasic and with the use of a plastic scraper the flim came off very easy, then I used solvent to remove the glue residue.

Back