How do the windows work?

Hey folks,

Getting into the nitty-gritty of this project. So how do the door windows work? Are they permanently fixed in place or are (or can they be installed) to be removable? I ask for two reasons:
1) Can you "crack them open" to create any flow of fresh air?
2) For track days many run groups require windows down - how would you do that? I'm not opposed to it taking a few minutes to take windows off, but on the flip side, I'd like for them to look decent too. Can I have my cake an eat it too? :)

Thanks,

Tim

Tim
Good question I would like to know as well. I have have a roller coming soon and would like to do track days as well but they all require to have the windows down. I would think you could put threaded inserts into the fiberglass??
Alan

On my list of many things to design - I would like to use some sort of very small quick release fasteners to hold in the side ''glass''. Thereby making it easy to remove and (hopefully) store behind my seats. I have not even pulled the glass out of the packages so I have no real idea if they will fit behind the seats, but I have articulating seat backs - so maybe there is a chance.

The fiberglass is about .125 thick on the side glass flange, so the inserts would need to be very shallow to prevent the backside of the inserts from protruding much into the cockpit if you care about such.. If that limitation is a non issue for you then I'd say that is the way to go.

The windows are nominally fixed, however, there are some options:

1. Use helicopter vents like the GT40s do. They can be opened or closed as needed.

2. Use the optional window that is a two-piece, and hinge the small lower piece.

3. Use the optional two-piece windows, but leave the small, lower piece off. We ran the race SLC this year that way. Apparently, the prohibition against running with the windows up is a safety one (don't spill shattered glass on the track, and allow a worker to open the door from the outside if needed, both of which are possible in this configuration), and this was allowed- in NASA at least.

4. Mount the windows in such a way that you can remove them as Rob mentioned. With the right interior trim, you can hide the rivnuts or whatever you use to fasten them to the car.

There are probably more options, but those are the obvious ones. :)

I have not seen a hinged application of the lower glass. I have heard that it was one of the ways it ''could'' be done but I have not seen it done. I am leaning towards a removable lower glass section as I have yet to figure out how to make it hinge. Anyone have a successful example to post up?

Rob, the GT40 window hinges may work. Can be made to work okay.
Tim had them on his car before he changed to full windows.

Interesting ideas. Do you think it would be possible to sink nuts or some sort of thread into the fiberglass so that the windows can be removed with maybe 6 or 8 screws? With proper hardware, that could look edgy from the outside and would be invisible from the inside. For a track day, that's not all too much work.

And doing that would still allow for helicopter vents, although I'm starting to think just putting in a good venting system through the dash is better.

The windows are nominally fixed, however, there are some options:

1. Use helicopter vents like the GT40s do. They can be opened or closed as needed.

2. Use the optional window that is a two-piece, and hinge the small lower piece.

3. Use the optional two-piece windows, but leave the small, lower piece off. We ran the race SLC this year that way. Apparently, the prohibition against running with the windows up is a safety one (don't spill shattered glass on the track, and allow a worker to open the door from the outside if needed, both of which are possible in this configuration), and this was allowed- in NASA at least.

4. Mount the windows in such a way that you can remove them as Rob mentioned. With the right interior trim, you can hide the rivnuts or whatever you use to fasten them to the car.

There are probably more options, but those are the obvious ones. :)

I'd be very curious to see what you come up with!
I have not seen a hinged application of the lower glass. I have heard that it was one of the ways it ''could'' be done but I have not seen it done. I am leaning towards a removable lower glass section as I have yet to figure out how to make it hinge. Anyone have a successful example to post up?

IMO Tim's (one of the first SLC owners) hinged side glass was not a success, apparently he would agree as he changed it out without ever using it in anger. I saw that attempt and it did not meet my goals. So I wait for someone to come up with a palatable hinged solution. Jack, you say it can be done - let's see :)

Tim: Don't hold your breath if you're waiting on my to show you the way! ...I've redesigned way to many things on my car. I'm about out time and of good ideas :knife: There is plenty of excellent talent on this forum - I look forward to what they come up with!

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

Why reinvent the wheel?????

If you have a look at the way DRB does it with the Mk3 option it would solve all the dilemmas.

They have a small quarter window and the main window is hinged on a removable hinge which takes all of 2 seconds to take off and store behind either of the front seats.

All the fresh air and can be closed in seconds if weather requires.

With the windows off there is next to no buffeting as the airflow over the car is so smooth.

You can see these windows on my build thread on my 40.

Dimi

Hey folks,

Getting into the nitty-gritty of this project. So how do the door windows work? Are they permanently fixed in place or are (or can they be installed) to be removable? I ask for two reasons:
1) Can you "crack them open" to create any flow of fresh air?
2) For track days many run groups require windows down - how would you do that? I'm not opposed to it taking a few minutes to take windows off, but on the flip side, I'd like for them to look decent too. Can I have my cake an eat it too? :)

Thanks,

Tim, i just tapped 7 screws into the window frame f/g. i can have them in/out for track days in about 3 minutes. think of how much weigth savings you get deleting pesky roll down windows.

Back