How much $ to run 24hrs Daytona?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I was speaking with a friend of mine who has asked me to compute to the best of my ability the cost of running the hrs of Daytona, he and some of his colleges are interested in putting together are charity entry. Where would a person get such information? How many of you know others who have competed in the past?

I was speaking with a friend of mine who has asked me to compute to the best of my ability the cost of running the hrs of Daytona, he and some of his colleges are interested in putting together are charity entry. Where would a person get such information? How many of you know others who have competed in the past?

In what car? To buy and race a Daytona Spec Porsche in GT easily 500K. A Ferrari 1MM.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Jim more than likely a spec Porsche set up for Daytona, they where thinking car, tires, spares, crew, accommodations, travel being 800+, I am looking for an answer of experience. Looks like I may have found it. :)

Thanks Jim more than likely a spec Porsche set up for Daytona, they where thinking car, tires, spares, crew, accommodations, travel being 800+, I am looking for an answer of experience. Looks like I may have found it. :)

You have to also take into account testing etc. I'm not sure you can get an entry for the 24 unless in a spec Porsche unless you also race other Grand AM races.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Good information Jim, thank you, what other course of action could they take? Find a team already set up for the event and sponsor?

Ron Earp

Admin
If they are interested in putting together a charity entry, and driving in it themselves, then I'd suggest they look at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill or the 13 Hour Charge of the Headlight Brigade at VIR. Far less costly than the 24 at Daytona although it is still going to cost appreciable coin.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
If they are interested in putting together a charity entry, and driving in it themselves, then I'd suggest they look at the 25 Hours of Thunderhill or the 13 Hour Charge of the Headlight Brigade at VIR. Far less costly than the 24 at Daytona although it is still going to cost appreciable coin.

I am currently in the early satges of evaluating the cost of running my DP in the 25 hrs of Thunderhill, we are initially figuring $65K for the event. That doesn't include the cost of full rebuild the car will likely require post the race. The 25 hrs is brutal on cars, so I have to be prepared that the car could be a total loss at the end, that is where I'm wavering at present.

Jack, the porsche GT3 is a real strong contender at Daytona, and there's usually loads of them in the line up. I've seen a couple (well used) GT3s for sale for a couple hundred thousand dollars that also come with a good supply of spare parts - cars that have run Daytona before and done well. Figure another hundred thousand for some practice track time, further set up, team logistics, fees, tires/consumables, etc. Assuming the drivers/team all qualify for the race then you should be able to do it for around this.

A cheaper option is you may also be able to rent a GT3 from a team with newer cars but assume you'll have to insure/bond for the full value of the car and also hold harmless, etc. You should give the Flying Lizard guys a call, they'll be able to point you in the right direction (friendly guys).

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Julian I have a home in Ukiah (where I use to live) we should have a GT40 get together this coming December and go to the race. Hwy 20 starts in Ukiah and leads to Hwy 5, it can't be more than an hour drive to the track.

Cliff, I will pass on this information to my friend, thank you! Why don't you come down for this Thunderhill event, maybe we can get Richard to put another 3k miles on his car again and come down also.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
A cheaper option is you may also be able to rent a GT3 from a team with newer cars but assume you'll have to insure/bond for the full value of the car and also hold harmless, etc. You should give the Flying Lizard guys a call, they'll be able to point you in the right direction (friendly guys).

Grand-Am has a community forum where funded drivers are often seeking seats and teams looking for such. The community is down at present, but it's a useful resource once up again.

http://community.grand-am.com/forums

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Julian I have a home in Ukiah (where I use to live) we should have a GT40 get together this coming December and go to the race. Hwy 20 starts in Ukiah and leads to Hwy 5, it can't be more than an hour drive to the track.

Jack,

If you are in CA with any regularity you should consider the NORCAL Shelby Club events at Thunderhill; Spring Sprint April 28/29 and Fall Classic Oct 20/21.

Nor Cal Shelby Club

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

If you are in CA with any regularity you should consider the NORCAL Shelby Club events at Thunderhill; Spring Sprint April 28/29 and Fall Classic Oct 20/21.

Nor Cal Shelby Club

Don't visit as much as I use to but do plan on staying the month of August and do Monterey and a couple other events, I will trailer the 40 out and bring it back, can't stand to be away from it that long. HA!

Thanks

Howard Jones

Supporter
I will be doing the Fall Classic at ThunderHill in October this year with the NORCAL guys. It will be the last track outing for Betty. The old girl will be a road queen after that.

Look for Francine's comming out party next year.

Why not run a SLC like Frans #1 at the 25 Hr. I bet it could be done for a hell of a lot less money than buying a DP car and running it. Plenty fast enough. You will need to run 1.50's with some 1.45 at the end if necessary.

GT3 Porsche won last year by 45 laps by running 1.50 - 55's and no problems. Pro effort and drivers.

Jack, Pm me when you are in Calif. We can get together and drink some beers. By the way the Mini Nats are at Sears Point in August. I will do Saturday if all goes well.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I will be doing the Fall Classic at ThunderHill in October this year with the NORCAL guys. It will be the last track outing for Betty. The old girl will be a road queen after that.

Look for Francine's comming out party next year.

Why not run a SLC like Frans #1 at the 25 Hr. I bet it could be done for a hell of a lot less money than buying a DP car and running it. Plenty fast enough. You will need to run 1.50's with some 1.45 at the end if necessary.

GT3 Porsche won last year by 45 laps by running 1.50 - 55's and no problems. Pro effort and drivers.

Jack, Pm me when you are in Calif. We can get together and drink some beers. By the way the Mini Nats are at Sears Point in August. I will do Saturday if all goes well.
Make sure to remind me and count me in. Will do on the beer!

Julian

Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure there would be much in it, with the new generation DP cars the pre-2011 design are fairly readily available now for under $150K and plenty competitive. I know I could not have built the same spec SLC for what I paid for my DP and it came with a spare engine, 4 sets wheels/tires and all the telemetry gear. It was the 2007 winning car of 25hrs Thunderhill.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
No disrespect Julian but you cannot really compare building a new car vs buying used...

You certainly could not buy or build a new DP car for the same price as a new SL-C.
Every used race car on the planet is worth considerably less that it cost to build..

A new DP engine and transaxle package alone...minus electronics would cost similar to my whole SLC race car...back in 2005 the electronics alone to run the fuel and ignition system on a factory Corvette C5R GT1 car also cost more than my complete race car...

Last edited:
Back