how to lock the doors of an SPF GT40

I would like to know if anybody knows in Europe and France in particular, somebody who can mount a locking door system on SPF GT40 :huh:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have been working on some locking options for the SPF GT40.

One is the original type Rover door locks with keys, the other is a remote electric lock setup with a mechanical backup systen (for when tyhe battery is dead). On both the door handles are reinforced inside the door so that a really hard pull with the doors locked will not open the doors nor crack the fiberglass.

Both systems are under development and are off in the semi distant future as GT40 accesories do not sell well and it takes some time to recover the tooling/design investment.

Rover door locks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick -- what year/model Rover did these locks come from, and how much of the lock mechanism needs to be retrieved? Are you using just the lockset, or more of the rods, etc., than that?

I am not sure of what Rover the are originally from, perhaps the Rover "Granny"? I can gert them via a restoration supplier.

We would use only the lock itself, all other parts would be unique fabrications to work with the SPF parts. I expect aall of the rods and other pieces to be done in stainless for corrosion protection (no, they won't rusat away in these cars but I HATE rust stains running out the door and down the rockers, etc.)

If you could purchase a lock kit complete for say, $295.00 how many would be interested?

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I am not sure of what Rover the are originally from, perhaps the Rover "Granny"? I can gert them via a restoration supplier.
Rick,
Rover P6 Series - Part numbers 389590 & 389591
The are supplied in pairs so L/H & R/H and FS keys are supplied separately.
Hope this assists.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
What GT40s had door locks in the first place, other than the Mk IIIs?

I think I'll change my name to GoogleMac :idea:.

MK I road cars had door locks.

There is also an American made version of this lock on a Detroit car and I have some somewhere. From memory they are better made but slightly larger.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Well I did say it was American. :thumbsup:
This has a much stronger mechanism than the die cast Rover part.

1951 1952 1953 1954 Dodge DeSoto NOS Door Lock Cylinder | eBay

These Ford ones are the type that I got a while back. Same style notch on the edge of the cover.

52-59 Ford Pickup Lock Set Ignition Door Original Keys - eBay (item 360373516848 end time Aug-12-11 12:34:11 PDT)

The Ford set is P/N B2A-7022050-A and was used on almost every Ford from 1952 to the early 60's. The lock cover is shaped the same, but is beveled and has a stainless cover (that will polish to a super shine) but is not exactly the same as the Rover pieces. I must assume that because FAV was in the UK they raided the Rover parts bin rather than the Ford bin.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,
The Rover unit is also bevelled.
If I was not using the original door latch mating assembly and manufacturing a new mechanism then I would go for the Ford lock as the square steel bar in the back of this piece would be a stronger starting point for the fulcrum on the lever.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Hello RCG,

could you post some picture of the inside mechanism which makes the door locks working?

The Rover locks are sitting on the shelf.....

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Back