How to make an SLC owner smile

48914_340.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
This is on my bucket list :D

This is one of those stretches of road where one just K-N-O-W-S he's going to be stuck behind some moron who will insist on doing 20 mph under the 'limit the whole darned way.

One may just as well be driving a bread truck as an SL-C in that situation.

Just don't ask me about rental cars from Knoxville..
I have a good friend that restores old Mercedes in Topton, NC at the end of the tail.

Most traffic will use some wide turnouts (vista views) to let you pass. Go at the right time of year and very little traffic. RE: rental cars...

Try Hiway 1 in California, from San Francisco north into Oregon. You will get tired of the corners. Fantastic vistas, small towns, redwoods, but it's a little overwhelming to do in one trip.

For sure Rick. Don't let a passenger read a magazine on the trip either. You'll be cleaning the interior sooner than later...Big difference though, the Tennessee-North Carolina is really more interesting (lived in Point Arena for a while).

California - 29 from Calistoga to Middletown, 50 from Placerville to Tahoe, 1 from SF to Bodega Bay (and all the hidden roads back to 101). All to be driven in the ''off'' hours to get any fun out of them. Another favorite, 9 in the Colorado Rockies spectac..

Oh, let's throw in "The-Road-To-The-Sun" in Glacier National Park, probably the best road EVER built by man. Of course part of what makes it so great is it possesses some of the most impressive scenery ever created, so it's a little hard to watch the road. On the down side I don't know if it ever has been completely empty of buses or motorhomes :(

Last edited:
California - 29 from Calistoga to Middletown, 50 from Placerville to Tahoe, 1 from SF to Bodega Bay (and all the hidden roads back to 101). All to be driven in the ''off'' hours to get any fun out of them. Another favorite, 9 in the Colorado Rockies spectac..

Oh, let's throw in "The-Road-To-The-Sun" in Glacier National Park, probably the best road EVER built by man. Of course part of what makes it so great is it possesses some of the most impressive scenery ever created, so it's a little hard to watch the road. On the down side I don't know if it ever has been completely empty of buses or motorhomes :(

My pic above is of California highway 36! It's 140 miles, and very little traffic. I did a motorcycle trip up to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and North Rim Grand Canyon a month ago. Glacier is without a doubt, the most beautiful national park I've ever been too. That includes Yosemite and Yellowstone. Both of those places are too crowded. On that trip up, I took highway 93 all the way up, except for highway 75 in Idaho (phenomenal road, btw). On the way south, I rode down highway 89. Highway 89 in Utah has some amazing areas as well.

But for me, best twisty road ever is down to two roads:
Highway 101 going through the Redwood Groves (riding a motorcycle through there is like living the Return of the Jedi speeder bike scene in real life), or
Highway 53 near the Oregon coast.

Okay, this is taken from another website, Random Wander - Wandering, randoming, stumbling, discovering., from someone who has explored these places. :)

Transfagarasan, Romania

Nestled within the Fagaras Mountains, this winding road built during the 1970′s in Romania has been called by the boys from Top Gear as the “Best road in the world.”

transfagarasan.jpg

Stelvio Pass, Italy

An icon and a legend for all car maniacs around the world, the Stelvio Pass is the epitome of a driving road. Located at the border of northern Italy with South Tyrol (Austria), Stelvio has been used for years as a local race track for car manufacturers to test their cars. This is probably the first name that comes into many car enthusiasts’ mind when you say the best road in the world or a driving road.

stelvio_pass.jpg

Col De Turini, Italy

Home of a famous stage that’s part of the even more famous Monte-Carlo Rally, Col De Turini is a long line of hairpins and twisty corners that brought motorsport magic to the south of France for many years.

col_de_turini.jpg

Trollstigen, Norway

“Troll’s Ladder”, as it’s called, Trollstigen is a windy road in the north of Norway that’s more than spectacular. And that’s the only one from Norway. A pure driving road.

trollstigen.jpg

Let's go! :)

The views look spectacular on some of those euro roads, but it seems to me all those hairpin turns (excepting Romania) would get to be boring very quickly. I place little value on what the Top Gear 'experts' have to say, entertaining? Yes. Authoritive? Not so much. Now that UAE road looks great as roads go, and no worries about being distracted by the views either!

AT the beginning of 129 in NC side, the dam is where they filmed the fugitive with Harrison Ford jumping off at with Tommy Lee in the tunnel. They also do white water rafting there, they open the dam for the rafting, then close it later that day.

The Cherahola PKY (not sure if I spelled that right) runs into the dragon, same type of road, just wider and longer. Plenty of scenic spot to stop an visit.

Just my FYI, been there quite a few times. This was my bike eater I made and drove a few years, twin V MAX engines with my auto clutch's on it.

Attachments

• IMG_9652.jpg
    IMG_9652.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_9768.JPG
    IMG_9768.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 233
Back