hydraulic clutch release with southern gt quaife setup

hi everyone just after some advice i would ideally like to run a Hydraulic Release Bearing with my quaife gearbox im running the southern gt bell-housing with the ap racing single plate clutch i have found kit for the zf gearbox from compitition supplies ( https://www.competitionsupplies.com...lease-bearing-with-zf-5-ds-25-mounting-sleeve ) but when i rang them to ask they said that the bolt pattern was different on the quaife box what setup do people run any advice would be appriciated

thanks

Run an external slave cylinder. Tilton makes quality products, some others like McLeod do not. Replaced my McLeod internal slave 3 times from leaking o rings. Finally gave up and used an external slave. No problems and easy accessibility if there were.

Run an external slave cylinder. Tilton makes quality products, some others like McLeod do not. Replaced my McLeod internal slave 3 times from leaking o rings. Finally gave up and used an external slave. No problems and easy accessibility if there were.
Where did you get the parts for the internal mechanism from struggling finding those aswell to be honest google is usually pretty good for that sort of stuff

For whatever reasons (and I am not blaming anyone), I ran an external slave cylinder and had/have a bunch of problems with binding issues. You may want to take a look at the latest version of the McLeod 1402-22 hydraulic throwout bearing, which is one I am hoping to get installed soon. Also, I recommend you call and talk with either Dennis Olthoff (Olthoff Racing) or Vlado Yancev (V's Performance).

/s/ Chris Kennedy

For whatever reasons (and I am not blaming anyone), I ran an external slave cylinder and had/have a bunch of problems with binding issues. You may want to take a look at the latest version of the McLeod 1402-22 hydraulic throwout bearing, which is one I am hoping to get installed soon. Also, I recommend you call and talk with either Dennis Olthoff (Olthoff Racing) or Vlado Yancev (V's Performance).

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Thanks I will check it out and will get in touch with those guys it's the mounting of the bearing that I'm trying to figure out more than anything as there are quite a few good bearing options but finding a way of mounting them securely to the inside of the quaife case seems like it will take a bit of figuring out might end up getting a threaded sleave machined for the tilton 6000 unit but was hoping for something off the shelf but doesn't seem to be working out that way unfortunately

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Thanks I will check it out and will get in touch with those guys it's the mounting of the bearing that I'm trying to figure out more than anything as there are quite a few good bearing options but finding a way of mounting them securely to the inside of the quaife case seems like it will take a bit of figuring out might end up getting a threaded sleave machined for the tilton 6000 unit but was hoping for something off the shelf but doesn't seem to be working out that way unfortunately
Ed,
I just committed to a Quaife and I am interested in pursuing the same release solution. What did you finally end up with?
Cheers, Randy

Ed,
I just committed to a Quaife and I am interested in pursuing the same release solution. What did you finally end up with?
Cheers, Randy

I will be honest I still haven't sorted it I put the engine and box in the car and built the exhaust system which has taken a while haha :D

never found a bolt on solution but think I my plan when the engine and box are out the car again is to get a tilton 6000 one with the universal threaded mount and get it machined to fit over the shaft on the gearbox and weld on a tab to pick up on one of the mounting bolts to stop it from rotateing but haven't done the measurements to see if it will work

David Garton

Supporter
I will be honest I still haven't sorted it I put the engine and box in the car and built the exhaust system which has taken a while haha :D

never found a bolt on solution but think I my plan when the engine and box are out the car again is to get a tilton 6000 one with the universal threaded mount and get it machined to fit over the shaft on the gearbox and weld on a tab to pick up on one of the mounting bolts to stop it from rotateing but haven't done the measurements to see if it will work

Ed, Looking at that kit with the sleeve that would slide over your existing collar. I would think you could drill and tap two holes on the back end of the sleeve and install allen set screws to fix it to the collar and the line keep it from spinning or rotating. It is threaded to obtain the free play in the clutch pedal. Just a thought. Good luck and thanks for posting your research.

Yeh that may be a good option the guys at competition supplies said about heating the sleave and cooling the gearbox side so it compresses onto but that would worry me that it would slip so would prefer some physical bolting but need to weigh it up when I have the gearbox off the engine again and the threads it to set the bearing from clutch distance so it isn't touching the clutch forks but it is close so it had enough travel through the clutch wearing

Hi Ed, I've used the tilton 6000 from competition supplies and the ZF mount, but re-drilled it to suit my Quaife zfq.
I'm NOT using the SGT bellhousing though, mine is the Quaife bellhousing with a McLeod single plate clutch.

Arr wasnt sure if that would work does it replace the current tube (not sure on the terminology :D) that fits over the gearbox input shaft or go over that aswell?
Don't think it should matter about the bellhousing ? Provided there is enough clearance haven't got any pics from when you were putting it together have you ?

Yes, it replaces the original, but as I say, has to be re-drilled as they are different bolt patterns and not evenly spread.
I struggled to get the clearance if I'm honest and ended up fitting a shim plate between the engine and bellhousing. I also had to make a small bracket to prevent the HRB from rotating during use.
Some modifications where required to the transmission casing too.

Attachments

• 20210225_174638_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20210225_174638_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210312_150509_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20210312_150509_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210312_150523_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20210312_150523_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210225_174649_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    20210225_174649_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210312_150503_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    20210312_150503_copy_1512x2016.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210311_173137.jpg
    20210311_173137.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210310_165653.jpg
    20210310_165653.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 108
Arr I see the bearing is wound right back against the bolts to get the clearance on the clutch arms so if the flywheel is thicker or the bellousing is shorter on mine it wouldn't fit or would need a thicker spacer thanks for the pics really helps I have a bit of thinking it do haha

Ed McClements

Supporter
@Eddw5493 When I fitted a concentric hydraulic slave on a previous car build I used a Saab 99 concentric slave and turned an adapter ring to mate between the gearbox bolt pattern and the base of the slave cylinder. The whole assembly took the place of the release bearing guide tube, which wasn't needed as the concentric slave provided the location for the release (throwout) bearing.

645720040.jpg

Oh, and to make sure that I didn't pop the piston out due to over-travel, this is what I did:-

Push the slave cylinder piston back to the start of its travel.
Measure the travel of the piston on the slave cylinder before it pops out of its bore.
Fit an old, worn out clutch plate and cover.
Bolt up the gearbox to the engine, and measure the gap between release bearing and the "fingers" on the clutch cover.
Repeat, using a new clutch plate and cover.
Using this info, work out what thickness the spacer needs to be between bellhousing and the mounting flange on the slave cylinder.
Also used a clutch pedal stop to make sure I didn't don't pop the piston out during use, or else it's an engine-out job!

That looks like a really neat setup and will have to measure for the setup to get it right need to get the engine out again to see what's possible

Back