I Bought a Race Car

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
To be precise a classic Formula Ford, an 89 Swift. Their are a number of historic events down under that attract grids of up to 50+ cars.
Our intention is to restore the car and have it ready for the historic meeting at Phillip Island in March.

Attachments

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: I bought a race car.

It wasn't Jack, that photo was taken after we had stripped the chassis cracked tested it and took it to the powder coater. So that is a pic of a partially restored car. The cross members and uprights are new.
Thanks for the congrats.

Attachments

Pat

GT40s Supporter

Great acquisition Pete. It looks like a beautiful car with no apparent "alterations".
These cars are still competitive here in FF. They came in 2nd and 3rd in the SCCA national championships this year.

Mike Pass

GT40s Supporter

These things have very sophisticated design. Super stiff proper space frame chassis. Rocker arm front suspension. So light they don't need much power to be fast. We used to run an '85 Van Diemen in NW FF. 420 Kgs 107 hp. I remember corner weighting it and watching the readings change as the driver tilted his head from side to side. Enjoy!
Cheers
Mike

Keith

GT40s Supporter
Nice one Pete! Are you going to get to drive it?

(ps moved here from the Paddock so that more can enjoy the thread)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice one Pete! Are you going to get to drive it?

(ps moved here from the Paddock so that more can enjoy the thread)
Thanks Keith, I wasn't quite sure where to post it.
I will drive it testing but my Bro in law who won the Australian Formula Ford championship in 1988 will drive it in the races. I'm team boss so I'm looking for a big cigar..:laugh: