I Drove a New GT ! !

Saturday I decided to go to a local all Ford car show near my home. As I arrived and was registering a guy pulls in with a new (black no stripes) GT. When I finished registering I was asked to park next to the GT. After we parked I got out and introduced myself to the owner. His name was Ron and he said that he couldn't stay for the show and asked if I would look after it until the show was over. He brought it there because his best friend was running the show. Randy, the guy running the show along with his wife came by and we introduced our selves. Randy asked me if I would be kind enough to help judge some classes in the show. I agreed to and from there on it was busy.
After the show was over Randy walked over to me and thanked me for my help. I told him anytime it was fun. He said that he might call me again for next year. I told him that I would be glad to help. At that time he threw a set of keys at me and said "here go have some fun". I caught the keys but stood there looking like a deer caught in the headlights. "What"? I say. "You mean drive it"? Randy smiled and said yes, Ron appreciates you watching the car and I appreciated the help. Well, it didn't take long for me to get in the car and push that starter button. Off I went desperately looking for any road with a curve in it.
This car is magic to drive. It handles simply flawlessly with no complaints at all. The gears seem endless. Each gear goes forever pulling hard all the way to shift point. I really had to watch the speed as it comes up so fast it's incredible. I did some lane switches and the bodyroll is nill. The clutch pedal feels so light it's hard to percieve the engage point but I got used to it quick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I finally had to force myself to turn around and go back..Bummer... What a car.
I thanked Randy and Ron for the opportunity. They were very generous to allow a perfect stranger to drive a very expensive and beautiful car. The best part is I was invited to drive it again!

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS. I have a picture I took on my phone but I haven't a clue as to how to get it on the computer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hersh, depending on what phone you have it may be anywhere between very easy, or very tricky to get that picture on your pooter.
Here's what I have to do with my Nokia phone:

1) Go to Menu -> Gallery -> view folders -> photos
2) scroll to the picture you want to transfer
3) select options -> send
this opens an email/text editor window. Type any message, or leave it blank
4) select options -> send to email
5) type in your email address, or if its storesd in your phone book select search to look for it
6) press send

It should then say something like 'message saved to outbox for sending'.
Once its been sent it should say something like 'multimedia message sent'.

Hope that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers,
john.

Thanks for the help guys. It seems that I need a blue tooth so I'm off today to get one. The dentist said he could make it any color I wanted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh,
you don't need a bluetooth device for the method I described above.
Just thought I'd mention it incase it saves you some $$$'s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, it took awhile to get those photos of my phone but thanks to all of you for your help it worked. John, you were right ..no blue tooth needed. I had to apply for on line internet service through my phone. Cost me six bucks a month. Right after I signed up the junk mail started piling up. Every 30 minutes the phone was beeping telling me I had another e mail. Turns out they are all junk. If it's going to be like this then I'm cancelling this crap. It ain't worth it for a few pictures.
Anyway here is the picture of the two GT's together.

Attachments

• 69230-!cid_11-12-05_1309.jpg
    69230-!cid_11-12-05_1309.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 353

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif 20,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to be one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
The new one is probably more practical but I too prefer the looks of the original (or replica). I've got a new one and an original one... in 1/18th scale. Setting them next to each other you really get a feel for just how much larger the new one is to the old.

Hey, Hersh. My buddy (ex-cop) took me for a ride in his new red GT, and we very quickly saw above 140, on a saturday afternoon, in town no less. It stops as well as it goes. Then he let me drive. What I noticed was that along with the very light clutch pedal that you mentioned, the power steering was really light, lighter than I personally like, to be honest. You sit deeper, too, so the viz. isn't as good as the 40. I found a fairly wide 'on' ramp, and noticed that when the rear end gets loose under power, it is a very gentle break away and a no brainer to hold in a smooth and steady (like those early Ford ads) power slide. It makes you feel like a hero. Interestingly enough, though, it felt like the rear started to slide at less g than in my ERA. Given one quick drive that's hardly a definitive comment, but the perception was certainly there. Maybe it was those Goodyear supercars vs. BFG KDs? I was actually a little surprised. Whatever, it is certainly an impressive set of wheels.
Mike

Hersh, I think your car is better, too. But the GT is quite amazing for a production car.

Did you have good experiences with the little camper trailer you used to have, towed behind your 40? It was painted to match the stripe and all.

Back