I got the shaft

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Just got rear half shafts for the RCR40, and before ordering bolts just want to make sure the wheel sides are what I think they are. The trans is a 930 with both sides 930 cv's.

Trans side 10mmx60mm 1.5pitch allen heads

Are the wheel side the same 10mmx60mm threads?

Also any gasket between cv and flange. Other tips???

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Looking to get some safety wire drilled ones, and just want to make sure I get them all right lengthed and thread. I think they are all the same, but want to make sure...

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Dean -

Thanks just did an order from McMaster Carr!

I'm slowly but surly getting back into it. I have to get some more wire for the back end of the harness and get moving, I have just too many car project going at the same time, but want to move on the GT40 when I can. Looks like I'm going to have to drill out the heads for safety wire, so that will be a fun thing. I also found on one of the porsche boards (Pelican Parts) that some of the guys are using the Schorr/Bellville serrated with very good results.

Here is the PN from McMaster if you ever need them. The do have some allen head pre drilled for wire, but not in metric sizes, so add more stuff to the list ;-)

2 1
Pack
93501A031 Black Steel Serrated Belleville Washer 3/8"/M10 Screw, .413" ID, .630" OD, .0359"-0406" Thk, Packs of 100

Thanks for the confirmation on the size!!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bolts and washers are here today. McMaster Carr is really fast to ship, now the task of drilling them all.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
yeah, I got the boxes of bolts and decided to order some extra drill bits, no chance I'll be able to drill them with the 2 supplied with the Jig I have I see a lot of broken bits due to being an overly monotonous task.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ok

For starters broke 2 drill bits in the jig. Then realized the jig is not for metric, so a FAIL (Bolt not super secure and must have moved). I have 12 Cobalt bits coming, and that should get 6 bolts done at my rate of bit destruction:furious:.

Jonathan -

Couple of questions did you use one of the red aluminum Jigs with the allen bolt with a small hole, or what did you use for good results? Also drill speed Fast/Slow for best work? Oil?

And last one how did you deburr the inside of the socket head?

And your right a pain and all I did was 5/6th of a bolt.

Sandy

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Just curious, if you don't mind my asking: what did a pair of halfshafts with Porsche 030-type CV joints on each end cost you? I may need a similar set.

I drilled them free hand. I did use motor oil to keep the bit cool. I did run the drill slow. I got 6 bolts done with one broken drill. I did not do anything to deburr it.

I am no expert though. This is the first time I wired any bolts.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
My complicated Drilling Jig may be too advanced for the task! Well the 12 drill bits came in and I'm going to restart the process, and your right will take a long time to get things done.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Yes it is slow going to drill the safety wire holds. Got 3 bolts done so far and no broken bits, but it is a pain in the a$$ to do. Going to take a while. After getting the Metric sized jig things worked much better, so far no broken bits and those were the ones that came with it which I'm sure are not of the highest quality. I have a back up supply of the 12 cobalt bits after I break the 2 the came with...

Sandy

Attachments

• DrillGuild.JPG
    DrillGuild.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 227
  • DrillGuild2.jpg
    DrillGuild2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 254
Be extremely careful on hardware from McMaster Carr. Some of their bolts are from China, and may not meet standards for Gr8 or metric 10.9, even though they have the correct markings.

Sandy
I drilled holes in my bolts and safety wired them like you're doing. However, I had to take one axle off and the hassle of removing and reinstalling the safety wire convinced me to just use lockwashers and blue loctite

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Oh yes, being lazy, I look long and hard for the pre-drilled bolts, but they are hard to find in cap metric. I thought I found them at some of the sand rail shops but they ended up all being imperial thread.

Jay -

I did have some concern for the bolts from McMaster but they came in not the usual suspect boxes that some of the China ones have in the past. I think these ones are OK. These were USA made bolts too.

Bill D-

Yeah, they won't get the wire until it's ready to go to the track. I also picked up some serrated bellville washers that will also go on. Can't be too careful, PLUS the safety wires add the "This car means business" to the tech guys that are going to have fun with me I'm guessing.

On the good side I put Talledega Nights on in the Garage TV, and stood in front of the drill press and drilled out 30 more bolts (6 holes each). Only broke a couple more bits before I figured out the process and hot to make it work better then the 1 drill per bolt ;) One thing was odd when I did use a drop of oil it was almost dooms day for the bit. Seems to like it dry to get the chips out of the hollow guide bolt.

I have 3 more boxes of 10 bolts as spares, I'll also drill a few more for the tool box.

Sandy

I would be tempted to use the 'Nordlock' washers in this application to see if they hack the pace. Hate safety wire myself- ambulance at bottom of cliff material.

Back