IDA or IDF??

I currently have a 4barrel throtle body / EFI setup on my 347 windsor and am loooking at changing over to a quad throttle body set up. What is the difference between the IDA's and IDF's and which should be used. Will drivability suffer much from the change over?
Cheers,
RV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Don't forget Kinsler too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 28433-Kinsler1.JPG
    28433-Kinsler1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 570
Thanks all for the info. I did not want to confuse the issue between IDA / IDF Carbs. I was quoted on throttle boddies from EFI hardware and they noted different prices for IDA and IDF throttle bodies, hence the question on what the difference would be. I would have thought a throttle body on EFI would be pretty much common.
Regds,
RV

Throttle bodies made to look like fake carbs… Interesting idea.

If you are going for an authentic look, IDAs were the carbs used on the real cars. If there is no difference functionally, you might as well go for those and have it look right.

The IDA is a bigger bodied carb, with a taller profile. IDAs were used on the original cars. The IDF is smaller and has a different mounting flange. The top plate is different and does not look quite as good as the IDA. IDAs were out of production until recently, but are now available again. IDFs are readily available. If you want throttle bodies that look look carburettors have a look at Jenvey bodies.

I'd have to agree with Jasper, Jenvey make some bloody great throttle bodies. Check it.. ouch! Nice.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 28455-MVC-007F.JPG
    28455-MVC-007F.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 638

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I do not pretend to any expertise on Weber downdraft carbs but can repeat what I was told...IDAs are an earlier design which have a larger float bowl chamber. I recall being advised that a motor equipped with IDAs was better for track use as the fuel reservoirs were larger. IDFs would run smoother on the street and idle better, or so I heard.
The distinction may be academic as Webers are very tuneable carbs and there is a large variety of venturi sizes and emulsion tubes available. IDAs cost more, if you look on Pierce or Inglese's web price lists. Both sell complete kits.
If I were going to drive the car on the street I would get IDFs. The smaller reservoir would mean at least in theory that fuel would turn over faster in the float bowl, and not hang around to get warm for as long. This would hopefully translate into less vapor lock problems. GT40s have a problem with engine room temperatures when run at low speeds. This is one reason why EFI works better, from what I've heard- the fuel gets sent back to the tank where it is cooler.
My Weber setup has three 38DCNVFs set crossways on a plenum, with a throttle arrangement like an old Pontiac tripower. It will be interesting to see what sort of hp numbers it makes.

Jim,

I've found that a good way to avoid the fuel getting too hot in the bowl on my IDA's is driving fast or keeping the rev's up by staying a gear or two lower than normal but then, of course, the straight pipes come into effect! Truly a great problem to have.

Seriously though, I do notice a heat issue when idling in traffic for awhile with my IDA's. I can vouch that the fuel levels and idle/low speed mixture are dead on. I attribute this to the mentioned vapor lock as that's exactly the way 911's with the 46 IDA's act. A bit of a pain but nothing a good mashing with the right foot can't solve.

Chuck

Back