Ideal Gearbox gear ratios

I have been banging my head endlessly trying to move from paper to reality to find the ideal gearbox ratios for a SLC, this application is intended for the street 90% and tracking on the weekends the other 10%. I plan to use a stock LS3 that may be upgraded with a cam at a later date, so max RPM is about 6500 RPM, I have determined three important areas of variables: 1) first gear. 2) Top gear, 3) Gear ratios (RPM drop)

1) First gear needs to be gear short enough that daily driving with starts and stops in northern VA traffic jams are able to be managed without feathering the clutch excessively, the other slow speed consideration is being able to drive it up into (on) a trailer with a certain degree of control. On the other hand how tall does first gear need to be? With the Ricardo gearboxes stretching first gear to 60MPH is a neat idea for 0 to 60 times and with a 2400 to 2700lb car that may be ideal for traction limits. Where is the happy medium????

2) Top Gear for the street needs to give you a nice engine RPM at 70 MPH, and keep in mind this is meant to be a super-car so the top speed needs to be in the super-car range (220+), Also keep in mind this can may never see that speed but it’s nice on paper. So how much gearing is too much or not enough, where is the happy medium?

3) On some gearboxes I have seen almost a 50% RPM drop from first to second I feel this is a little excessive endless you plan to start out in second and have that nice 60+MPH starting gear and just keep first for slow occasions. Close ratio gears are Ideal for the track, with the torque of a LS3 power plant and a 2400 to 2700lb car how wide of a ratio is too much or too little, so again where is the happy medium?

And now that I have explained my quandary, I ask for the vast knowledge input and years of experience on this wonderful forum come forth and solve this problem so I may stop banging my head.
Thank you
Tom

Porsche's new 7-speed might be the answer. It's a little pricey, I think around $12k,, but that is new,, you have a Granny first,, that will get you up to around 45mph or so (good for traffic),, and a very tall 7th, that is almost as tall as what you see in the Corvette. It should also handle the power. PDK is in parenthesis

1st 3.91 (3.91)
2nd 2.29 (2.29)
3rd 1.55 (1.65)
4th 1.30 (1.30)
5th 1.08 (1.08)
6th 0.88 (0.88)
7th 0.71 (0.62)
Reverse
3.55 (3.55)

Thank you for the input, However the PDK to the best of my knowledge cannot be inverted for mid engine use.

Maybe this is a good place to post all of the gear ratios of the most commonly used transmissions?

I cannot take credit for the attachment and forgot who put this together, they did a great job. The author properties on the doc say "bill".

Attachments

• Porsche Transaxle Specs.xls
    50 KB · Views: 313
Found the other one -- looks like Tim T. had something to do with this one:

Attachments

• Porsche trans calculations.xls
    69 KB · Views: 285

Howard Jones

Supporter
I had CMS do my G50 for my SLC as follows
1= 2.43
2= 1.72
3= 1.38
4= 1
5 =.83

FD= 3.44

I have a R21 with one piece main shaft from Quaife in my GT40

1= 2.34
2= 1.74
3= 1.34
4= .93
5= .85

FD = 3.44

These will work well on a street car and are low enough to load on trailers and crawl around in traffic although the 1st gear is right on the edge of too high. Maybe 2.6 or 2.7 would be better.

The combo of 3.44 final, 315.35.17 tires and .8ish 5th gets me 2850 at 80mph. That is a real sweet spot for my SBF @ 350HP. Cruises real nice @75, and pulls like a freight train if I put it down in 4th and punch it. The car will pull right to the rev limit in 4th @ about 140 and believe me that's enough! I very seldom put my foot back on it in 5th. You won't either, especially with another 100HP.

Now about speed, above 175 or so it's going to be about extending the rev range more than taller gears. 6000 rpms will get you about 175 and 7000-7500 will go about another 20-25 mph or so. So think about what kind of engine you want and how much you what to spend on rebuild and maintance. I think >7500 RPM 400 inch motors make no sense from a budget point of view but that's just me. IMHO set a 6000-6500 rev limit and gear it for about 170 and you will be very happy. You can tell people anything you want to and when you floor it and take them to 175 or so they will be begging you to back off and think you are going a million. You can't do this on the street anyway and I know of very few tracks (count them on one hand in the USA) where speeds go much higher than 165 or so anyway. Another thing, that top speed will account for about 3-4% of the lap anyway. Why bother?

Lower gears, you will never use 1st or 2nd gear on track with >400 lb pound / 400+ inch engines. These car just have too much grip to slow down that much. Lap times will be no better for a fun track day SLC by reving the piss out of the motor and shifting like a mad man if you are north of 400-450 HP at most tracks. It's just not necessary. More than likely it's going to be 3rd and 4th all the way around. That lets you concentrate on staying on line and brake points instead of shifting all the time.

Thank you Howard for the hands on update and feedback. I take it that this feedback is from your GT40 with 17" rims and your SLC is still under construction. If this is what the weight difference?

Howard Jones

Supporter
My GTD is about 2600 and people say the SLC will come in at a few hundred less maybe a bit closer to 2300 more or less. I looked up the actual gear numbers when I got home and sorry about the bad editing above, in a hurry at work.

SLC shift point 6500 rev limit *6800(MPH) 26 in tall tire
1=2.428(60.12), 2=1.789(81.60), 3=1.407(103.76), 4=1.085(134.49), 5= 0.868(168.158)*179.74 , FD= 3.44

GT40 rev limit 6000 (mph) 26.2 Tire dia
1=2.66(51.93, 2=1.75(78.94), 3=1.38(100.10), 4=1.037(133.21), 5=0.82(178.72) FD=3.44

Last edited:
Seems like some super short gearing for an LS3!
It does. Those numbers are what Fran quoted elsewhere, but they don't look to match the overall ratios here. That document suspiciously gives the same overall ratios for both the Gallardo and R8.

Hey guys,

I updated my original spreadsheet with the Graziano gearing posted by Roger. You can grab the update from here: Level X Motorsports - Transmission Gearing.

Seems like some super short gearing for an LS3!

Feel free to send me any other gear ratios and I'll get them into the doc as well.

Best,

Tim

Nice job on the spreadsheet, Tim. It's really helpful to see them all lined up like that, and the interactivity makes it easy to see the effects of changes in the rear tire, redline, etc.!

Thanks for putting this together. There's a minor bug in the wheel rev calculations - it's using $B$35, i.e. the G97/50 R&P ratio for all 'boxes.

Great catch, Roger! This minor error was also on the gear entry RPM calculation. Thankfully, the final drive ratios (which were referenced incorrectly) are identical for all the Porsche street boxes and barely different for the Graziano, so this has basically no impact on the final calculations. Definitely glad this was caught though and it's correct now. My innate sense of German order and correctness has been restored. :thumbsup:

I also added the Audi R8 V10 gear ratios.

New spreadsheet here: Level X Motorsports - Transmission Gearing

Thanks again,

Tim

Back