"Ignition" current draw problem

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
More an FYI, than a question. At my last event, I had the car running some pretty quick laps. Had the suspension pretty close, and the Holley EFI pretty close, so I was making more power. So between the suspension settings and the power settings, the overall lap times decreased, and obviously, the load on the engine increased. I'm saying all that to introduce a newer problem I had not ever experienced before with my "ignition", and that was whenever I got to the point where my lap times were getting pretty respectable, the engine would quit down the main straight, where maximum power was being made. The cause was the ignition fuse blew, which happened three more times that day, and was eventually my reason for loading up the car early.

Once I got home, I set an ammeter in the ignition circuit so I could monitor it while running the motor in the garage. What I found was at idle, I had ~2 amps on the circuit, when I would rev the motor up, the current flow increased to ~10-12 amps. I had used a 10 amp fuse in the ignition circuit prior to today, so it seems pretty obvious that the sustained high rpm power was probably causing the ignition circuit current flow to exceed the 10 amp fuse rating. So I've now inserted a 15 amp fuse in the circuit, but have found no reference as to what the normal current draw through the ignition wire should be. I will contact Holley sometime in the future (it's usually a very long wait on "hold") to gain some insight into whether this is a normal current flow or not. Not sure if this includes just the ignition, or includes injector pulse power as well.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Frank, but no. This is my, in tribute to the late Keith who would call my car a "wedge" car, it is an 8-stack injection system using the Holley self learning EFI. I've done some searching on the internet, and am feeling somewhat comfortable, with many systems being fused at 15 amps for OEM 6-cylinder applications, and that 10+ amps is common it seems, and that the supplied wire is 14-16 awg. So maybe my problem is resolved.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My MSD -6AL calls for a 10 A fuse, but it really needs a 12A. I had the same problem many years ago with on track best laps and a yery hot day. By the way, MSD will test your unit for you for a price. At least they did. call their tec line if that is what you have.

JP makes a good point. I would protect both with separate fuses.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The ignition spark (and any directly related to that) appears to be the only draw on this ignition wire.

Howard, interesting comment. I finally got a Holley tech rep on the line, and he went through some numbers and noted the 10-12 amp draw would be the norm. He noted that they also own MSD, and that if I needed more detailed data or information about spark current draw, they they could address that via their MSD tech rep. I'm happy and relieved this problem is likely fixed now with the 15 amp fuse.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ich finde das jetzt heraus, das ist also eine Erleichterung. Vielen Dank. (google translator). Thanks, and I agree now that I've seen more info.

Back