Indicator Stalks

I'm thinking about putting an indicator stalk on the steering,.... I know, I know, :lipsrsealed: ..... any advice welcome; did I read that mini stalks were used on GT40 road versions, does anyone know if this is true, I could not find a thread, and was it mk1 or mk 2 stalks (i think the mk2 mini ran from '68 to around '76)?

Thanks

Keith

Kaith,
Have a look at Steve Barker's MDA build and see what he did. I plan on doing something similar with a On-Off-On toggle on the right for the indicator and a On-Off-Mom on the right for lower driving lights.

Brett

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I seem to recall that the MKII Cortina stalk may have been used on some cars...

Keith, I really wanted to do my build with a toggle switch for the indicators, but I found a headlamp switch from a TR4 and modified it to work as an indicator stalk. All that was needed was a small brass screw in an existing hole in the phenolic, and the addition of a wire and I was good to go. The bonus is when one pulls the lever rearward it acts as a headlamp flasher. I made a small enclosure that mounted on the column and the lever is a rather skinny rod that looks period instead of those fat over populated stalks in use now.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Kieth,
I’d looked at moutning the indicator switch off the steering column, but I found it pushed out the wheel too far. Some of the original road cars used a Lucas indicator/light/horn switch mounted on the dash, which I copied. This works really well, indicators are still up/down and you still pull to get flash beam
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• Original Indicator Sw.jpeg
    Original Indicator Sw.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Indicator Switch.JPG
    Indicator Switch.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 580
I just used a toggle switch and put a peice of rubber hose over the toggle.
The switch is rotated 90deg in the dash so if you swtch left you turn left.
I dont have to take my hands off the wheel.
I have to say that pic looks like a gearlever with all the cut outs, a bit in you face.

Phil I like the sound of your headlamp flash built in,these cars are a bit clumsey in those areas if you like the period look.

Jim

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Kieth,
I’d looked at moutning the indicator switch off the steering column, but I found it pushed out the wheel too far. Some of the original road cars used a Lucas indicator/light/horn switch mounted on the dash, which I copied. This works really well, indicators are still up/down and you still pull to get flash beam
Regards,
Andy

Andy

If you are on high beam, can you put your indicator on?
You may pe in rural Norfolk on an unlit road and need to turn off as an example

Ian

That one with the Black dashboard is defenatly a mini knob on the stalk in the 40 in the pictures. I had that in an earlier kitcar which had a mini column.

The white dashboard one looks remarkably the same as the stalk in my brothers 1972 ford transit camper van (originaly a 1700cc flatbed transit)

the end is metal on the mini one, and Black on the transit one.

In both albeit the differente in orientation, pushing (in the mini & transit) is Horn and up/down is flash/highbeam. L/R is of course L/R. All Can be done at the Same time.

I don't get hoever why it's not column mounted, that way you can have the selfcanceling function aswell. Saying the 40 is not ment to have one makes no sense, as a racing car it wasn't ment to be on the road either....

Grtz thomas

Last edited:
Ian,
If I want to use the indicators, I knock it off high beam or I just make a bigger hole. It’s not the sort of car I plan to do a lot of night driving, especially down Norfolk lanes
Jim,
It does look a bit in your face, but now it’s black, it’s not as noticeable
Thomas,
It is a Mini Indicator (Lucas) stalk I’ve used. I couldn’t fit it to the steering column due to the collapsible section I have in my steering wheel boss

Regards,
Andy

Thanks guys

I was hoping to strap something to the outside of the column, as a normal stalk, albeit on the right, like my first car, the mini. I guess you end up having to modify the dash either way.

Andy, is your collapsible top section, belt and braces,.... I had read in the IVA doc and it seems to say that an angle on the bottom end of the column, where it enters the rack is OK to absorb/deflect impact energy,or is it something to do with your power steering?

Keith

Keith, I adapted mine from toggle switch on the dash to a stalk on the steering column by using an off the shelf brand new item from Car Builder Solutions. This does not self cancel but is neat and works well. Sorry no photos as yet but look at the CBS website to find the item. I was lucky in that I could handle the item before buying at a car show where they had a stand selling their wares. The mount to the steering column is like a jubilee clip so tightens round it by screw action.

Hi Keith
I have a collapsible section in my steering wheel adapter which is the main reason I couldn’t fit the indicator stalk in the convention manner. It is belt & braces, as the EPAS section also has a collapsible section as well as the misalignment of the column to the rack
Regards,
Andy

Keith, sorry it took so long, but here are the photos now. the set up works well in my car.
Chis

Attachments

• DSCF2187.jpg
    DSCF2187.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF2189.jpg
    DSCF2189.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCF2190.jpg
    DSCF2190.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 414
  • DSCF2191.jpg
    DSCF2191.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 438
No that's an immobiliser port for connection by a "wand". the stereo does have a USB and an SD card port in it and the big shiny thing in the passenger footwell is a 600W amp driven from the auxilliary output of the head unit. Yes I can get it loud enough to be heard at any speed, but for some reason the wife complains when I do! I run it from an 8Gb SD card with all my favourite music on random so I never know what I'm getting next. The speakers in the doors are Pioneer and plenty powerful enough to take the strain, see the photo for the door card set up.

Attachments

• DSCF2192.jpg
    DSCF2192.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 371
Back