Indy 500

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Don't know if any of you jacknabbits in Europe managed to catch it but great racing at the World's Most Important Race.....record lead changes, good drafting and a hell of an attempt by Takuma Sato to take the lead in turn 1, last lap from Mr. Ashley Judd.

Lotus failed miserably, both cars (one piloti being former F1 driver Jean Alesi) unable to maintain race pace and black flagged. The second piloted by Simona deSilvestra who is like Danica Patrick with actual talent and stuff.

Rubens Barichello nee Schumacher's bitch acquitted himself well, 10th I think.

I foresee McLaren, Red Bull, Williams, Mercedes and Ferrari making the jump to Indy Car by 2014.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff,

Once you get past the odd look of the new cars, I thought it was a very good race. Although I like Dario very much, I was really pulling for Mr Sato, he is a real all out racer, my kind of guy.

I felt bad for Alesi, another all out racer, but he seemed to enjoy the process and vows to be back with a competitive car.

Rubino said all the right things and seems hooked as well.

Jeff....not sure but my senses tell me you're baiting the members for an arguement or certainly a disagreement. :) Ok, I'll bite. Personally, I watched the Monaco GP race and saw the high-lights and lo-lights of the 500. As for the last line of your post......I think not. The money in F1 is too BIG to leave. And if you hadn't noticed this years F1 is turning out to be quite the season. 6 races 6 different winners and 1 driver making a decent car look great. (Alonso and the Ferrari)

The 500 is one of the world's great races no doubt....but I don't have the stamina to watch that much "circle" racing without getting....well bored or dizzy. I will say this though....Speed TV said it best.....this past weekend was the greatest day for watching motorsport with Monaco, Indy and the 600 at Charlotte all being covered. Too much for me though and my girlfriend told me she'd leave me if I watched them all.

Too much for me though and my girlfriend told me she'd leave me if I watched them all.

LOL... I had too much going on to sit for that long this weekend. Actually that is what the DVR is for.....so you don't have to watch all 6 billion laps of another boring Monaco or Coke 600. Indy was the best race out there this weekend and I was all about cheering Sato-san on! Oh crap if he could have just pulled that off! But no it ended up being a Kamakazie move by our favorite Japanese driver.

The real sad part is that most the decent American talent is in CRASHCAR.

But nevermind all that, the real racers were at Miller for WSB (bait, bait)

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff....not sure but my senses tell me you're baiting the members for an arguement or certainly a disagreement. :) Ok, I'll bite. Personally, I watched the Monaco GP race and saw the high-lights and lo-lights of the 500. As for the last line of your post......I think not. The money in F1 is too BIG to leave. And if you hadn't noticed this years F1 is turning out to be quite the season. 6 races 6 different winners and 1 driver making a decent car look great. (Alonso and the Ferrari)

The 500 is one of the world's great races no doubt....but I don't have the stamina to watch that much "circle" racing without getting....well bored or dizzy. I will say this though....Speed TV said it best.....this past weekend was the greatest day for watching motorsport with Monaco, Indy and the 600 at Charlotte all being covered. Too much for me though and my girlfriend told me she'd leave me if I watched them all.
Change your girlfriend.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, you may have a point there...........

My wife got up with me a 4:30 AM to watch Monaco and stayed put all day, although we did Tevo a lot of the 600...........enough is enough:)

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Mostly tongue in cheek on that one -- F1 is far and away the top of the heap when it comes to motorsports and this year has been AWESOME. Even the parade at Monaco was nail baiting, the top 6 so close together and one mistake....

The 500 was a good race this year and I do miss the days when it attracted some of Europe's best manfuacturers and drivers in their prime (no offense to Rubens and Alesi, but they are well past it). With the racing as good as it is, and some play in the rules for different aero bodies and motors, maybe we will see one or two of the Europeans (in addition to Lotus) come over.

LIke I said, I love F1 but the 500 is still something amazing to watch.

Who will be next in Montreal? KR? Or, will we see a two-time winner? I'll be at my usual grandstand (right there where Vettel lost it last year) to find out :thumbsup:.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doc,

I agree, Montreal is a wonderful track and it seems to produce some of the very best races.

If we are lucky it will rain..........I just can't wait!

Ha! I sat through that miserable rain in the grandstand! I remember the rain dripping THROUGH the fabric of the umbrella....wouldn't miss it for anything though!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Did anyone notice who won at Monaco? I was there to watch the Aussie win.
Jim, with my wife who is in love with F1. We had a great view of the Fairmont hairpin from our hotel balcony, big party with Aussie mates after the race.
On the Friday we were fortunate to be invited on board Jenson Buttons boat to watch the Gp3 race.
I'll post a couple of pics in the F1 thread.

Keith

Mostly tongue in cheek on that one -- F1 is far and away the top of the heap when it comes to motorsports and this year has been AWESOME. Even the parade at Monaco was nail baiting, the top 6 so close together and one mistake....

The 500 was a good race this year and I do miss the days when it attracted some of Europe's best manfuacturers and drivers in their prime (no offense to Rubens and Alesi, but they are well past it). With the racing as good as it is, and some play in the rules for different aero bodies and motors, maybe we will see one or two of the Europeans (in addition to Lotus) come over.

LIke I said, I love F1 but the 500 is still something amazing to watch.

Lotus is only 'British' when they win. At all other times, they are Korean and 'Johnny Foreigner'.

Yep Jim,

Vettel lost his concentration, went just wide enough into the slick and that was it....Button slipped through. Looking forward to next week, great venue.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doc,

That's so cool, having seen in person, one of the greatest, if not THE greatest Grand Prix of all time! (Also, longest/wetest)

Pete,

That's fabulous, a great room with a view, Jenson's yacht and an Aussie win! Thats the all time tri-fecta!

Pete, I would love to see your photos and your travel agent!!!!

Last edited:
like Danica Patrick with actual talent and stuff.

Frankly, looking like this, I don't give a damn even if her talent isn't actual! It's all about the other 'stuff' ;)

Attachments

• Danica-Patrick-1288142.jpg
    Danica-Patrick-1288142.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 207
Back