INFO NEEDED on GT-40 transistorized ignition system - FOR SALE

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELLO, HOPING SOMEBODY OUT THERE COULD HELP ME OUT ON SOME ITEM'S I HAVE. INFORMATION ABOUT A TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION SYSTEM THAT IV'E OWNED FOR APPROX.30yrs. THE ITEM'S IN QUESTION ARE A COMPLETE TRANSISTORIZED DISTRIBUTOR part # XF-170429 with G177 stampings on the housing, Tach Driven. THIS SYSTEM HAS IT'S ORIGINAL TRANSISTOR SYSTEM INSIDE THE DISTRIBUTOR INTACT WITH A fo-mo-co CAP & ROTOR ASSEMBLY. WIRING HARNESS fo-mo-co part # GT40 P1317057(SXL). REV-LIMITER or control module part # XF-172234 with J-36 STAMPING, all etched engraving. COIL part # C5FF-12029-A , TITLED 'for use only with transistor ignition. ALSO A WEIRD BALLAST RESISTOR WITH A STEEL BRACKET. ALL THESE ITEM'S ARE BRAND NEW, NEVER USED. THESE ITEM'S WERE FOUND BACK IN 1976 OUT OF A 1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK THAT MY UNCLE PURCHASED FROM A PERSON IN THE CANADIAN MILITARY THAT HAD THE CAR SHIPPED FROM WEST GERMANY BACK TO CANADA. I SUBSEQUENTLY PURCHASED THE CAR THAT FALL OF 76 AND THESE ITEM'S WERE IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR ALONG WITH A AUTOLITE ALTERNATOR, part # C6AF-10300-D with ink stampings of AUGUST 1967 on it. ALSO HAS A LARGE PULLEY WITH part # C5AF10A352-H. THE ALTERNATOR LOOKS LIKE IT MAY HAVE BEEN USED FOR LIKE 100 miles or so as it looks brand new with all it's original MARKINGS. I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ON THESE ITEM'S AS I WISH TO MARKET THEM AS I HAVE NO USE FOR THEM. THANKS..........I Have put these Item's up for Sale on eBAY Scheduled to Start on Thursday OCTOBER 26th at 18:00:00 PDT. ITEM # 200040043698. Any Interest should be Directed through the Auction. THANKS.........

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: INFO NEEDED on GT-40 transistorized ignition system

Hi,

If you have a question about electrics and ignition, please put it on the proper forum. The advertisers forum is not the right place.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: INFO NEEDED on GT-40 transistorized ignition system

Well, if this is a for sale post it belongs in the for sale forum......................

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
These items would appear to be all genuine GT40 ignition parts.
'Some find.

Last edited:
I Have put these Item's up for Sale on eBAY Scheduled to Start on Thursday October 26th. at 18:00:00 PDT. ITEM# 200040043698. Any Interest should be Directed through the Auction. THANKS.........

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
John,
It's your personal view on the worth.
These parts were for 289-305 cars incidentally and not 427s as stated previously in this thread.
They also went to an original car and they are in their proper place with provenance.
In my opinion for what it's worth - if I needed them for an original chassis, then they would be worth far more to me in such condition.
True hens teeth, these days.

For those interested, see the photo for the typical 427 distributor.

Attachments

• AUTOLITE 427 TACH DRIVE DISTRIBUTOR 05.jpg
    AUTOLITE 427 TACH DRIVE DISTRIBUTOR 05.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Interesting Jimmy. i have an FE distributor that looks exactly the same as that sold in the ebay auction, which differs from the one you've posted
mainly by the shorter casting.

You have me worried now...

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
John,
FE ? 427 ? - that's another world to me, and I did not imagine Ford actually making such a part to fit two engines so diametrically different.

I knew this piece fitted a 289 and has a different shaft thickness from the 427 and I have one the same with the two sets of internals and that the transistor parts and ballast resistor came from a 427 Galaxy/truck line.

The photo is of an Autolite piece - also for a 427. But what 427 ???
If the distributor discussed is only for a 427 and not a 289 then perhaps I need to flog it.
And now you have me worried.

'Apologies if I have misled.

lmao, so basically we're now both worried !! :D

Its too late for me to venture out to the garage now, so I dug out my big block book.
if your distributor has 12127 stamped/cast on it, then its suitable (i.e. standard fitment) for an Big block 427 FE engine. The pic in my book looks like the one you've posted above, so I guess your right, and I have some bits to unload :rolleyes: Looks like the apologies are all mine.

I've never had a BB and SB distributor side by side, but I do know the MSD FE distributor is a different part to the 289/302/351, so there must be differences.

I don't want to take this thread further off track, so give me a pm if you like. I'd be interested to hear about the galaxy bits and pieces. i didn't know that.

Cheers,
John.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Wheels,

The distributor parts sold for $4449.50
The alternator went for $620

John,

You are wrong : I think that your comments on this thread are spot on and I admit that I need to learn more and be less pedantic.
I don't know about you, but I personally prefer this stuff to : "what colour should I paint ?" , or "will I get a left hander ?" or "do I need sunglasses ?" or "what glue should I use ?"
:shrug:

Anyway, here is what I currently think I know,

The 427 tach distributor part in the pic above is C87F - 12102 - B. I don't know if it fits a 427FE engine but it appears to be much larger.

The 289 XF-170429 racing distributor I have is a dual contact mechanical one and uses a different ballast resistor C5 ?? (instead of the Autolite #57 special out of a truck), with a transistorised regulator, yellow top coil, heavy duty solenoid and field relay. This regulator is the same as the later 1968 production Boss 302 piece. (shown in my original parts thread)
The ballast resistor, coil and transistor box parts sold on ebay are not compatible with this mechanical distributor set up.

I was recently told that the 289 transistor set up was temperamental on a few cars in endurance service and some racers later changed the internals to the heavier duty HiPo dual point set up which cames out of a 390/428 Boss distributor. The two inner base plates which mated on a swivelling ball race were also rivetted together. The top plate on mine is locked down in position by a non-spec solid copper earthing bar. When I got it, it also had a non-standard Ducellier condenser instead of the original Autolite one which I have just retrofitted.

That's as much as I know and I could be way off so maybe somebody else would care to chip in ?

I feel better now,

The tach dist above definitely fits an FE. think of the FE as the big block range, from 332, 252, 360, 390, 410, 427, 428, 460, and even the cammer, which used a modified FE block. There is an FT engine range too, which is very similar, but used in trucks. Many of the parts are interchangeable, but not all, and confusingly often parts had the wrong part number cast on them, especially heads and blocks...

As for the distributor, most of the FEs used single point, but the 427 used dual point distributors as standard, which has the part number C5AZ-12127-E.
These also had an adjustment screw fitted where the vac advance would normally be, for fine timing adjustment. These come up quite often, but the tach drive versions are harder to find. The Gt40 engines had their tachs fitted with an electonic pickup. I'm not sure what this came from but is a standard ford part.

All the electrical bits (solenoid, relay, coil, regulator, ignition, etc) were standard ford parts bin bits. I don't know exactly which model ford they came from though.

As you say, very interesting thread, getting so much into technical details. This is what its all about to me too - lots of research ;)

I checked this morning and mine is correct for what I want, so I'm okay now too :D

Hi Guys,

A while ago, this gentleman proposed some original ignition parts. I wonder if somebody could share the posted photographs he placed with its adverising.
All the best,

Jan.

HELLO, HOPING SOMEBODY OUT THERE COULD HELP ME OUT ON SOME ITEM'S I HAVE. INFORMATION ABOUT A TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION SYSTEM THAT IV'E OWNED FOR APPROX.30yrs. THE ITEM'S IN QUESTION ARE A COMPLETE TRANSISTORIZED DISTRIBUTOR part # XF-170429 with G177 stampings on the housing, Tach Driven. THIS SYSTEM HAS IT'S ORIGINAL TRANSISTOR SYSTEM INSIDE THE DISTRIBUTOR INTACT WITH A fo-mo-co CAP & ROTOR ASSEMBLY. WIRING HARNESS fo-mo-co part # GT40 P1317057(SXL). REV-LIMITER or control module part # XF-172234 with J-36 STAMPING, all etched engraving. COIL part # C5FF-12029-A , TITLED 'for use only with transistor ignition. ALSO A WEIRD BALLAST RESISTOR WITH A STEEL BRACKET. ALL THESE ITEM'S ARE BRAND NEW, NEVER USED. THESE ITEM'S WERE FOUND BACK IN 1976 OUT OF A 1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK THAT MY UNCLE PURCHASED FROM A PERSON IN THE CANADIAN MILITARY THAT HAD THE CAR SHIPPED FROM WEST GERMANY BACK TO CANADA. I SUBSEQUENTLY PURCHASED THE CAR THAT FALL OF 76 AND THESE ITEM'S WERE IN THE TRUNK OF THE CAR ALONG WITH A AUTOLITE ALTERNATOR, part # C6AF-10300-D with ink stampings of AUGUST 1967 on it. ALSO HAS A LARGE PULLEY WITH part # C5AF10A352-H. THE ALTERNATOR LOOKS LIKE IT MAY HAVE BEEN USED FOR LIKE 100 miles or so as it looks brand new with all it's original MARKINGS. I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ON THESE ITEM'S AS I WISH TO MARKET THEM AS I HAVE NO USE FOR THEM. THANKS..........I Have put these Item's up for Sale on eBAY Scheduled to Start on Thursday OCTOBER 26th at 18:00:00 PDT. ITEM # 200040043698. Any Interest should be Directed through the Auction. THANKS.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back