Instrument lights

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Gus,

You can upgrade the bulbs (I just did the speedo in 2171) but the real issue the voltage drop across the dash dimmer. I jumpered across the dimmer so I no longer can dim the light but now have visible gauges.....and you will really never need to dim the lamps as any drop renders them invisible in the dark!

Of course the only item that is too bright is the blue high beam indicator! I use a disc with a reduced opening to drop the amount of light so it no longer blinds you.

I know, that blue dot is ridiculous! That was my plan, to cover it to some extent. I think I'll just bypass the dimmer then. It is switched through the ignition? Wont drain the battery when not running?

Gus,
You drive at night?

I changed my British (old) cars over to LEDs. Also, on the 40 I use the short strip of LEDS (RED) just over the L & R foot wells so I can see what I just dropped in the floor. Also wired into the rheostat. They are not a bother at night, but just a soft red (short wavelength in the color spectrum) glow on my trousers. Makes me feel comfortable like I flying an aircraft on a dark night.

Grady, I do, not specifically by design, but why not? I use my cars and put lots of cross country miles on. I like the idea of the LEDs. My wife's car has that.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I use the blue high beam light as a way to illuminate the other instruments. But it also blinds me so that diminishes its value. But I do know very clearly when the high beams are on.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I replaced all the instruments with Speedhut units. The legacy GT style are nearly dead knock offs of the Smiths. Single power and lighting inverter for LEDs.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Gus,

Jumpering the dimmer does not draw power. The dimmer switch only gets power when the lights are on. I just made a short wire with rind terminal ends that I ran across the screws that hold the input and output wires on.

Rick, what did you say the voltage was after the dimmer when you called me again? Something like 11.8V in and 9.8v out? You saw a noticeable brightness in the dash lighting? You can replace the bulbs with higher wattage .... 3.2 or 4.0 if you can find them. LED's are a great option because you can get "white" rather the incandescent yellow lighting. Glad it worked out for you.
Blas

Grady, I do, not specifically by design, but why not? I use my cars and put lots of cross country miles on. I like the idea of the LEDs. My wife's car has that.

It is about the standing joke about Lucas, 'The Price of Darkness', and British cars. I drive mine at night some hence the comment about the strip of red LEDs under the dash. I know with old Mustangs 64-70s, you needed to have an electronic flasher unit for the turn signals to work and I guess that applies to other units that have old style mechanical flasher units. I'm very happy with the instrument lighting and interior lighting since I got white LEDs. If you haven't changed your brake/running lights over to LEDs, give them a try.
See and be seen safety.

Back