Interior panels

I am going to strip out all my interior panelling, it is very thin and can be bent with your fingers! It was going to be a track car so therefore interior comfort was not an issue. However I would like to re-do it all so that I can at least shout, if not talk a bit to the passenger. What thickness alloy panels have people been using? I thought of 2mm or is that going to be too difficult to bend? Anyone got a supplier for alloy in the UK who is reasonably priced? Any thoughts on the matter. would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Murray, I doubt increasing the thickness will have much of an effect on noise reduction. You might consider adding Dynamat to drop the vibrational noise and add a layer of closed cell neoprene to stop some of the other transmitted noise. I think the results will be much better in the long run as well as easier and the weight difference will be minimal.

Thanks for that Chuck,
I used Dynamat in my old 1955 Magnette, lots of it, rather expensive and to be truthful, I am not very impressed by any noise or vibrational reduction. I have never used the closed cell neoprene (same as diving suits?) I am sure it would be easier though. It certainly wouldn't take so long to get her on the road. Anyone done a double skin for the firewall twixt engine and cockpit?

A search for "aluminum sheet thickness" will bring up a discussion which also includes a little info on alloys

Brian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I use Berkshire Metals in Reading who stock just about everything metal under the sun.
In your area are:

Alan Spear Ltd.,
Broadley Park Rd, Roborough, Plymouth, Devon PL6 7EZ
Tel: 01752 696500

and

<!-- /Freeline.jsp --><!-- /ResultLoopContent.jsp --><!-- ResultLoopContent.jsp --><!-- PopulateListing.jsp --><!-- Links.jsp --><!-- SPMMapLink.jsp--><!-- /SPMMapLink.jsp--><!-- /Links.jsp --><!-- /PopulateListing.jsp --><!-- Freeline.jsp --><!-- OmnitureVariables.jsp --><!-- /OmnitureVariables.jsp -->Aluminium Castings Ltd
Unit 3b, Celtic Rd, Moss Side Industrial Estate, Callington, Cornwall PL17 7SD
Tel: 01579 383513

<!-- /Freeline.jsp --><!-- /ResultLoopContent.jsp --><!-- /Results.jsp --><!-- /Freeline.jsp --><!-- /ResultLoopContent.jsp --><!-- /Results.jsp -->

Back