Is it really necessary?

This morning I read a post by someone new to the ’40 website wishing to find out the cost of shipping a ‘40 from US to UK. Strangely one reply back was a little off-beat…asking that he phrase his title better and look through the search feature before posting.

From a personal point of view, I find this kind of response unreasonable, unhelpful and unwarranted. I believe that if someone is trying to get their foot in the door of trying to own or build a GT40 replica, they will inevitably have a multitude of questions that we of course have heard before. It is perhaps a little unfair to take such an aggressive approach because they were unaware of the search feature. I’m sure someone will ask the same question in a few months anyway.

Should we not be in the business of being approachable and helpful in order that someone can realise their dreams? Many of us are privileged enough to be able to walk into the garage with the keys to something some people will only ever be able to dream about. This thought is foremost in my mind when I gauge the response to my ’40 and it puts my achievements into perspective.

If I ruffle some feathers with my remarks, then take a look at yourself in the mirror. My post is not aimed at anyone in particular. I just feel that this site was started to allow people a focal point for ‘40s, to share information and the like. I’d like to think I would only have positive feedback to my comments, and no one would try and justify rude and ignorant behaviour but then….who knows?

Manners, unlike GT40 replicas….cost nothing. Just a thought.

My 2 cents -

Isn't it better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish?

Subject title is important to receive correct attention.

Searching is just as important as asking a question that the person with the right answer may not be available with the answer.

Ron Earp

Admin
Torn 40, those are good points for sure. We should be an approachable community and I hope we are. But, on the other hand new members need to have the courtesy to do a little homework before putting posts out regarding subjects that might have been covered. I don't think any serious harm is being done by asking folks to use the search feature. Some might not be aware of it and others might not know how long we've been around. We owe it to ourselves to keep the board free from constant re-hashes that could come up, otherwise we'll be repeating ourselves on commonly covered issues.

Ron

I also thought immediately when reading the response that it was quite nasty. So what if someone reads a post by mistake because of the title. The question was valid and the person was genuine.. be kind.

The search feature is indeed a very handy tool, however I believe it is worth re-starting threads occasionally.

There is (I believe) a steady flow of new members joining the forum & therefore a steady flow of 'new' knowledge.

Obviously we don't want to keep running over the same old topics & doing them to death, but it's always good to read fresh opinions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I say yes and no Julian, whilst I beleive you are correct in the new knowledge... we still are a community of gt40 lovers/owners/builders there will be always new people who have not had the chance to experience some threads or actually build stages, therefore is it not our responsibility as people who have read/acquired the knowledge to pass it on to people who are willing to learn?

Just a thought anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, I know I've been guilty of not using the search facility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Brett

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
My 2 cents worth - The answer to this problem seems simple - if you are one of those people who would instinctively respond to some poor new bloke's question with an abrupt "Check the Search function, Bozo" - don't respond at all. There will always be someone else on the Forum who can either respond directly with relevant info (if it is fresh in their minds), or more likely, somone who can gently point the new guy to the Search function, whilst offering some encouragement on the way.

It was weeks before I was game to post on the Forum (for fear of looking like a newbie jerk), but the lack of condescending & abrupt responses to other newbies gave me the courage to launch forth & I have never looked back since.

Its just as easy to be polite & informative in responses to new guys as it is to be rude & "superior".

Kind Regards,

Peter D. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HILLY

Supporter
I am with you Peter.
As a new member myself I am sure that I will struggle to maintain the high standard set by the experienced long time forum members and mistakes will be made and it seems that will offend some people.
Mark has made one of his first mistakes and has copped a blast from someone who did not have time to read his post but did have time to 'rant'. It would have taken just as long to give some useful direction to a new guy in a reasonable manner as it did to post an abrupt reply.
Hang in there Mark. There seems to be many others out there that are willing to help.
Just for the record I did a quick search for the info that was requested and came up short. Maybe someone can give Mark a lead on where he might find it.

Hilly and Peter,

I could not have said it any better, Just be nice!!

This forum has it's pompous asses like any other place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But most of the people here are cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Torn 40,

I agree that it was a touch harsh. Perhaps it is better not to reply unless assistance or direction is applied with sincereity. There are some who can barely work a computer and the internet let alone a discussion forum with all its many complicated features. Neophytes should be welcome as enthusiasm is always refreshing and we would certainly love increased participation from all those in or wishing to be a part of the GT40 "cult".

It would be a shame to learn of potentially new forum members shying away from this community for fear of not meeting up to the forum's standards of failing to successfully apply themselves to the best of their abilities. Given that the search feature - appearing so incredibly invaluable to some - is such a wonderful tool for answering "new" questions, perhaps a "Newbie" section is in order and should be highlighted in the Main Index above all others - explaining this search feature in all its glory.

A lack of search feature use may be contributed to an overwhelming excitement - the kind I experienced the first time I saw a photo of a GT40 - in which case cannot be helped, or it may be a failure on behalf of the forum for not providing the necessary guidance for all newcomers.

Although irritating to some, a minor oversight of the search feature is not dilberate. I do believe patience is required as we have all been a newbie in one way, shape or form, and appreciated the same at the time.

Just my thoughts...

As a newbie to this forum, I would like to point out that most subjects about these cars is/are very specialized. I have read over all of the information here in all of the categories in the last couple of weeks. I still have a LOT of questions. Sure, the topic may have been gone over, and suggesting a search may help. But sometimes the info only applies to one manufacturer or one engine/tranny combo. I appreciate the responses from people that have direct experience and advice to offer. This is a great forum, and I look forward to making as many friends here as possible, Scott

Ron Earp

Admin
One thing that might help folks to realize is that there aren't too many combinations of engines and trannies. For example:

RF/CAV/NZ - Mainly use the SB Ford and Audi/Getrag/016 (same box, different names) box

DRB - Mainly use the SB Ford and Porsche G50

ERA - SB Ford and ZF only

GTD and KVA - Renault box mainly, with others used such as Quaiffe, ZF, etc. Lots of one-offs.

Now, all of the above have been fitted with ZFs too, so, as you can see basically anything can be done.

As for importation it doesn't really matter who makes it. You'll bring it in as parts or as a race car (no engine and tranny) then go through your states laws for titling and registration - all of those are different and have been covered at www.clubcobra.com and on ERA's website.

Ron

I AM THAT NEWBIE!!!

I am very sorry to have upset anyone in the community. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I am very gratful however to all those people who have jumped to my defense, but although I was taken aback by the 'shortness' of certain replies to my post, I was not overly upset by it. It simply made me feel a little foolish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I have since searched the forum, a great tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif but alas I found nothing relating to shipping from the USA to the UK, only the reverse.
I am very new to this internet thingy, and will endeavour to think before posting. With regard to the subject title, sorry guys, I guess thats just my marketing background subconsciously stepping to the fore?
I am making headway with regard to UK customs and DVLA rules and regulations, so as soon as I have anything helpful, I will post it up for all to see.
As a footnote though, It seems ironic to me, that if the comment, "use the search" is intended to reduce unnecessary posts, that my first venture into forum etiquette has caused this tirade.
Once again, sorry.
BTW (is that pc speak?) thankyou for all the comments good and bad. Through mistakes I hope to learn. Having said that, I have been married twice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, thanks for the help

Like Quebee I'm new and have been blundering around in the backround trying to get educated about the site. Stumbled on this discussion by accident. I've used the search but obviously was using the wrong terms as it was unproductive. Bottom line - My thanks to the people who provided links, search terms etc. Now I've got to get busy absorbing all the information so many people have generously shared

Steve

Back