Isis Power

Hi guys,

just wanted to do a quick check with you, if someone here has experience with a company called Isis Power. Webpage can be found under ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System - Automotive Wiring Harnesses, Car Wire Harness, Engine Wiring Harness, Auto Wiring Harness, Truck Wiring Harness, Car Wiring Kits

I read an article on the latest car craft magazine about their electrical wire solution and to me it looks like a nice idea. It seems to reduce harness pain a lot and offers some nice features for the money.

Cheers
(C)arlos

You might try EZ Wiring system. They have a 21 circuit for about $170 US. It has a pre-wired fuse panel and long wires that are marked ever 5" with where it goes i.e. left rear tail. The work book is EZ to follow. They have 12 & 17 circuit sets as well. I'm rewiring my GTD with one now.:thumbsup:

Hi,

Doc: Thx a lot, will do ....practical experience is the best :)

Sam: I did already several wirings on my own, but I like the different approach here, as I like the goodies like Error Detection, separating control wire from power wire and switching the power as close to the consumer as possible...stuff like this....I know there are easier and cheaper ways, but this systems seems to be worth the money .... :-?

However all feedback is much appreciated

Cheers
(C)arlos

I will be using the ISIS system for my Superlite Coupe.

While it has a higher initial cost of entry (compared to the simple fusebox and a bunch o' wires), the simplicity of it should make it less expensive as a total solution if your time has any value.

In addition, it also has features unavailable in traditional systems, including slow-start for halogen headlights (but fast-start for HIDs, for example), sophisticated logic that allows IF-THEN and other constructs to control power distribution, and easy error detection and correction tools. I will be using one of their specialized controllers to control motors. The system runs motors to their up and down limits, "learns" the load when say, a window motor closes the window completely, and uses that to intelligently manage the motor to prevent overload, and detect limits. Detecting limits like this (by measuring load) is impossible to do with the old-style systems- you need limit switches which are notoriously finicky, and yet another piece that can fail.

The concept of using microcontrollers connected by a CAN bus is not new, and is in fact the defacto standard for all modern cars. My VW Touareg, for example, uses this approach, as do more and more cars generally.

Even race cars are transitioning to this technology, as Motec offers a similar (but more expensive and less user-friendly) system to distribute power. In a race application, the drivers are reliability, low weight, and flexibility.

Only the availability of this kind of technology for component cars is new, not the technology itself.

Ironically, the most resistance to this kind of technology often comes from the builders who have done a lot of the traditional systems, because the intellectual model underlying ISIS is a little different, and so is sometimes out of their comfort range. I think eventually the benefits of systems like this will become so obvious, that there will be little discussion of alternatives, similar to the carb-vs-EFI debates of old.

I think it always depends on what you need. Will agree to your reasoning only partly.

If you talk about a GT40 replica, there are no power windows, no servo motors to control. Usually this cars have a nice stack of gauges and numerous switches to look original.

As long as you stick to that, the ISIS system wont be any easier to wire than a standard wiring loom.
  • You need to run at least 2 wires per switch, if all the switches are supplied from the same 5V source than count tha source as 1, this still leaves 1 per switchfunction to the master controller.
  • if you get more demanding and want to have some aux´s switching either in AUTO or Manual Mode ( like radiator fans, controlled either by the thermostat or overridden; Accusump, gearbox oilpump) you need to wire the 5 V supply to the automatic switches and back to the master controller
  • IMHO 10 curcuits are to few, so you would need 2 power controllers
  • From them you need to wire to each user.
  • Of course you could locate them at front and rear of the car, but you need to run the source from the battery to them and additionaly it is recommanded to fuse them
  • All sensor wires to instruments, the gauges wiring itself is exactly the same as without ISIS.
  • The heavy gauge wring to starter, from alternator to battery is standard as well and not covered by the ISIS system
All of this you could build in the same way with the same amount of wires ( of course with different gauge) with 2 10.relais blocks. With the Fusebox located close to the relais there is not much wiring necessary for that.
Anything else is the same or sometimes even less wiring than the ISIS.
Additionaly to make realy use of the system one would have to buy the programming interface to control the master and powermodules.

This has nothing to do with beeing oldfashioned. It´s to everyone on his own, what you rather want to service and maintain. I by myself rather take my voltmeter, find the loose connection or defect relais, plug the new one in and go. With both solutions it is mandatory to have a clean professional wiring done to connect the different components.

THis said, if you use a touchscreen control panel and a central lcd dashboard instead of numerous gauges and switches , it will be a different story. This realy makes ISIS easier and very flexible ( provided the option to be able to programme and design the touchscreen by yourself).

Thanks

TOM

Ron Earp

Admin
As long as you stick to that, the ISIS system wont be any easier to wire than a standard wiring loom.

All of this you could build in the same way with the same amount of wires ( of course with different gauge)

This has nothing to do with beeing oldfashioned. It´s to everyone on his own, what you rather want to service and maintain. I by myself rather take my voltmeter, find the loose connection or defect relais, plug the new one in and go.

My sentiments exactly. Be a lot of fun at the race track when the master control module takes a dump. That doesn't happen with switches, appropriate gauge wire, and circuit breakers.

System seems interesting but for a simple car it can be overkill. For a car with lots of features and so on it might be just the ticket.

The ISIS is made by Little Fuse, they have a very long history in the automotive industry, and the guys at factory five have been using them for some time. Though I do also have the same concerns about being able to do your own programming

hmmm guys help me out....as far as I understand you have control and switch boxes right?
So the control box is the one holding the "programming" and sends a "Bit/Byte" to the switch box lets say if you turn on the light to connect the inside the switch box the power circuit to the head and tail lights....?
For me it seems like I can save a lot of "power lines" and just put in one, ( of course big enough) or two ( for reliability reasons) and do the "power wireing where it is needed, so as short as possible....

- it should reduce the amount of wires a bit
- it should reduce the chance for interferences
- it should reduce possible short circuits

I am not afraid programming that little box......
Am I right here ?
Cheers
(C)arlos

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm going to use the Isis system in my Street Pantera. The components are laying here next to my desk and I can tell you they are of the highest quality. Pricey? Yes but I think worth it. Talk to Jay Harris the owner. He is very knowledgeable and very helpful.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
If you are running electric water pump this system allows the pump and fans to run after shut down based on many inputs. It also has analoge inputs and PWM outputs to control speeds of fans, pumps, etc.

It's a great system and very flexible - I used its predecessor (I2 1+1 million relay) on my ffr cobra, and I used the isis on my slc.

Very powerful, lots of options, and incredibly simple to wire.

Next car I use will definately use one again.

Though I do also have the same concerns about being able to do your own programming

You can't do your own programming for it? I mean, you ask Jay/Mike to make changes to your code (to add in different functionalities over the base ones) which you then upload to your units, but it's not like you can just stick a usb cable into it, fire up your laptop, and start hacking stuff apart.

But say you want to wire 4 wire flashers (a very basic function).

With an ISIS you're done after you've wired your turn signals (it handles it automatically).

With a standard harness you need all sorts of doo-dads like flashers (or whatever they call that unit).

Say you want your turn signals to self-cancel after 10seconds after you take your foot off the brake pedal - it does that automatically

For a basic basic basic electrical setup it may not save too much in wiring, but it makes things a whole heck of a lot easier.

that all sounds very promising to me....Hmmm I have to do the wiring for my GTD end of the year and for my cobra this spring and I guess I will use the system for both, let's see....

I guess the system is not to expensive for what it delivers....If I compare it to a system isa racing ( a speed shop here) is selling right now, this one is about 5000 Euros just the base unit...and then you need all the cables and CAN Bus connections so you easy end up with around 9k-10k for the whole system...yes it offers more features in terms of recording ( dampeners, break pressure, accelerator pedal position and g-force, bla bla bla....all stuff a car that JUST goes racing needs...at the end you can merge the race circuit layout with the data and the video recording just like in F1 but then you end up with 5k-20k and this is nothing I am looking for.....

Again thx a lot for all the input and more is welcome :)

@Alex, very good point with the 4 wire flashers :)

A few other things are coming to my mind, like warning light, let's say if one of your stoplight or tail light fails ...or daylight driving lights always on except headlights are turned on, automatic light switching sensor and so on, and so on ....

cheers
(C)arlos

Don't forget though that ISIS is about efficiently controlling accessories (e.g., lighting, radiator fans, fuel pump, starter, etc..), not doing data logging, so I'm not certain that comparison is fair.

I didn't want to compare them by features it was just that the Isis is for our purposes the MUCH better choice.......

Don't forget though that ISIS is about efficiently controlling accessories (e.g., lighting, radiator fans, fuel pump, starter, etc..), not doing data logging, so I'm not certain that comparison is fair.

Back