Joel’s SL-C Build Thread

Joel K

Supporter
This is a minor update. For the sake of completeness I wanted to document installing the rear chassis and transaxle triangulation rods.

The triangulation rods serve two purposes. The chassis rods stiffen up the rear of the car to reduce flex. The trans rods are rear trans mounts to hold up the rear of the Graziano and also provide further chassis strength to reduce flexing.

There are multiple ways to configure the rods to increase the area to run a muffler past the k-brace. The plan is for the mufflers to fit before the end of the k-brace so I chose this configuration.

Pic of the rods and placement…
19D34E23-09D1-4F3E-8409-B4B6A1BAE820.jpeg

Due to shifting the engine back, the stock location for the trans rods positions them a good 2” forward of the Graziano mounting ears. I did not want to make a 2” spacer which I thought could apply too much torque and bend the mounting ears. Nor did I want to install the rods with an excessive angle reaching out rearward from the chassis to the mounting ears.

So decided to split the baby by adding washers to the ears and mount the chassis rod ends to the back of the mounting brackets instead of between the tabs…
41FA7E70-63ED-4DAD-A375-79A09B3E7A79.jpeg

I always find excuses to use the mill so replaced each mounting ear washer stack with a 5/8” aluminum spacer and steel safety washer. Also filled in the empty mounting brackets with 1.5” aluminum spacers…
903AC22D-DFD0-4D3A-91DE-6F89CDB474A4.jpeg

When installing the rod ends I found it best to keep the jam nuts loose and adjust the rod length as you position and tighten up the mounting bolts. Once the mounting bolts are tight, then tighten the jam nuts on the rods. This insures you don’t torque and bend the mounting ears which are a single shear design and can bend if too much torque is applied.

Here is a side pic showing the spacer on the mounting ear and the slight angle of the rod end…
C729EF49-9AC9-4CB3-967D-F8EC5AD9DF91.jpeg

Pic from the rear…
4D59A209-95E8-44F6-884B-2596914D5957.jpeg

I’m in a holding pattern on installing the axles so going to mount the diffuser next.

Last edited: