Joel’s SLC Build thread

Hi everyone,

I figure I’d get started and create my build thread. I ordered an SLC 8 weeks ago so delivery date is something like 8 to 16 weeks out

This will be my first component/kit car although at 19 years old I semi-restored a 68 Corvette. Did some body work, hand made the entire interior and some chassis work.

I started getting the itch to build a component car and started looking at various kits. I ran across the SLC on the web and thought it would be a very interesting and challenging build. Being a huge IMSA GTP fan I just think driving around town in a GTP car would be a lot of fun.

I stopped by Stephan’s house to check his SLC out and was sold on the car. The major issue being I did not think I could fit in the car. Stephan recommended I go up to RCR and see a completed car in person and also see the optional parts first hand. So took a trip to see Fran, sat in a number of SLCs and realized I can fit-barely but I can fit so decided to order one.

Here is the Build/options list..

Body Style*: Race Tail
Gelcoat Color*: Deep Blue
Rear Wing & Mount*: Carbon Fiber
Mirrors*: Door-Mount Electric
Windows*: One Piece
Splitter*: Street, Carbon Fiber
Side Skirts: Carbon Fiber
Fender Vents: Carbon Fiber
Windshield: DOT-Approved Glass
Rear Window Vents Carbon Fiber
Inner Fender Panels:
Wheels*: Forgestar F14
Wheel Sizes: 19 x 9.5/10 Front and 20 x 12 Rear $0
Wheel Color*: Gunmetal
Wheel Hubs: Five Lug
Brakes: Brembo OEM
Brake Caliper Color*: Gray
Parking Brake: Complete Kit
Adjustable Pedals: Full Kit
Drive: Left Hand
Shock Asorbers: QA1 Double Adjustable
Safety Cage: Removeable Side-Impact Bars
Steering: Street/Track, Manual
Suspension Upgrade: None
Dashboard: Fiberglass
Driver Seat: Two-Piece, Fiberglass, Wide
Passenger Seat: Two-Piece Fiberglass
Cockpit "Tub" and Panels: Fiberglass
A Pillar Covers: Fiberglass
Extended Door Panels: Carbon Fiber
Transaxle & Billet Shifter: V8 Graziano
Transaxle / Engine Adapter Plate:
Graziano Accessories: Transaxle Completion Kit
Fuel Tank: Standard
Exhaust: None
Cooling Tubes: Stainless tubes, unassembled
Front Box Heat Deflector: Fiberglass
Packing Method: Custom Wood Crate

The general theme of my car will be street oriented. Fully finished interior mostly with alcantera, some leather and carbon fiber trim.

Modern digital dash and using the Digital Koso RXF cluster,

Engine: Either LS 3 E-Rod with Edelbrock Super Charger or E-Rod LT 4 if they release it within the next 6-10 months. Need to go with the E-Rod since I have to pass NJ emissions.

Ordered the .9 drop gears from John B. I think they will be great with the street maners of the LS or LT4 Erod engines,

Also thinking about doing power steering and brakes.
If I can figure out a way to do the electric doors but allow them to also work in a manual way then I’ll do that, otherwise I’ll use the Mesa mod.

Ordered the dark blue Gelcoat but at some point will paint it Dodge B5 Blue, should look great on an SLC.

Have a few body mods in mind, but I may outsource that piece of the project depending how confident I feel I can tackle it.

Anyway, really looking forward to getting started and meeting more people in the Superlite and GT40s community.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to the build. Cam, I really enjoy your blog and may do something similar and it’s great having Stephan nearby and see first hand how excellent his build is and How he approaches things.

PeteB

Gold Supporter
Congrats!

I think power steering would be a huge improvement for a street car if you can figure out how to do it. JMHO, but power brakes really aren't necessary.

Congrats!

I think power steering would be a huge improvement for a street car if you can figure out how to do it. JMHO, but power brakes really aren't necessary.
Thanks Pete, I think one of my favorite SLC videos is yours when you backed out of the driveway then lowered the nose and took off down the street, then did a drive by passed your house. I probably watched that video 10 times. Car looks great.

Anyway, not 100% sure I’ll do the power brake thing. If not, do you have a recommendation for a good street pad with lots of grab?

PeteB

Gold Supporter
I've never changed the pads from whatever came with the kit. I assume they're the stock AC Delco pads. They work great, although they do create a lot of brake dust.

Cam

i really like the
Hawk Performance HT 10 Racing Brake Pads but they screach a little.
The EBC yellow stuff were good too. Warm up faster too, but a little less grip.

Dan Carter

Bronze Supporter
Joel

I’ve had the best overall results with my Corvette track car using the EBC yellow stuff. For me it is an excellent street/track pad. There are obviously dedicated track pads or street pads, but I have never had Yellow stuff fade at the track and reasonably low dust for street use. I’ve been using it for years now. Good hunting.