Just bought an original MkII GT

Cortina, that is...

Attachments

• 57844-garage.jpg
    57844-garage.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 678

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure you made money on this one. Someone had to pay you to haul that outta their garage and into yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bet it runs like a beaut! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Quatermile in 8 seconds flat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif HAHAHA

I'm not a GT40 expert but it seems that you've bought a replica !!!!!!!!

... but monocoque !

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to drop a Lotus Twin-Cam engine into your Cortina?

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to try to keep it original for now. As I understand it, the hot setup nowadays is to drop a Zetec (i.e., Ford Focus) engine in them. But it should be eligible for vintage racing (Group 3/BS) with what it's got in it now, so if I decide to do that I can't really make too many changes.

[ QUOTE ]
I bet it runs like a beaut! Quatermile in 8 seconds flat HAHAHA

[/ QUOTE ]

It weighs under 2000 pounds, and this engine is good for 100+ HP, so it actually will move pretty well when it gets running again. A Zetec engine, as mentioned above, can make about 180 HP and only adds about 30 pounds in weight.

It's not a drag racer.

Keith

O ye of little faith - this model, like the GT40, was one of Ford's better ideas when mated to a Lotus Twin Cam or even in stock GT form.

Nice one Steve, it'll run great on the track with a twin cam and some cheap suspension mods.

It doesn't even look like its had any under bonnet welding, especially top plates, that would be a rare find over here.

There are loads of tuning parts for that engine, cheap mods like the 38 DGAS carb of 3 Litre engines.

Enjoy

Paul,

1) is that a cossie engine ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
2) is it yours ?
3) how much ?
4) Will it fit in my Caterham ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi John
Yes - No - Lots - Possibly.

It is a Cossie engine, although not from mine, and made about 540BHP at the flywheel on the Dyno.

I do have a 2nd Cosworth engine though (spare), awaiting possible rebuild. Are you looking for turbocharged or normally aspirated?

(better to pm me so as not to hijack thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Love that Cortina.....
The first car I ever bought was with three partners and was a Ford Anglia 1175 (or thereabouts) that we were gonna build into a killer autocrosser. Ah, youth and enthusiasm...we took it apart OK, it was the puttin' it back together part that we had trouble with!
The barn we had it in was across the street from a real big auto wrecking yard, we used to go over at night to "liberate" parts...a tach from an Austin Healy 3000 was procured (later used on my Pinto autocrosser) a cylinder head from a Cortina 1600 (no Lotus Cortinas in this yard), etc. After six months or so of "non progress" my buddies mother requested we remove the Anglia from the barn. We are probably the only people ever to break into a junkyard and leave a car! We carried the shell of the Anglia in one night and left to be discovered....

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Steve, on the side of the block, does your Cortina engine have the number 711 cast into it. May have other digits around it. If there you can't really miss it unless it is covered in cobwebs/grime/bird nests! If so that is a hard to come by engine now and is THE one for Historic Formula Ford single seaters. So long as it is in standard tune ie not machined, bored out, ported etc etc. I have a spare one in my garage in HFF tune that is in good order. I have already turned down £2,000 for it. Have a look and let us know.....

Had a quick look on my way out the door to work this morning. It said T7, not 711. Also, the engine reportedly has been rebuilt, but I don't have the details...

Back