Just like crack.

After a fairly long wait, I finally sampled a purpose built racer. Today was my first drive in my 1978 Lola T-440. What a hoot! Now everything else feels like a barge. Hopefully I can learn some driving skills to do her justice. It will actually change my focus as I build the GT40, as I am less interested in how it does on track now.

Attachments

• T440a.jpg
    T440a.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 242
  • T440b.jpg
    T440b.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 227
  • T440c.jpg
    T440c.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 228
VIR is a great track- which circuit did you run?

I always liked running there, even when it rained, which seemed to be the norm for every weekend I raced there. :laugh:

Jim Dewar

Supporter
You'll enjoy the Lola. I have owned the almost identical car (yellow T440) for the last 14 years. I last ran it at VIR 3 years ago. Purpose built race cars are always a special experience.

You'll enjoy the Lola. I have owned the almost identical car (yellow T440) for the last 14 years. I last ran it at VIR 3 years ago. Purpose built race cars are always a special experience.

Do you still have the car? can you post some pics? I don't think there are that many of them around (I think they made about 130 total). I just fell in love with the body work on the T440, one of the better looking Formula Fords made if you ask me.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Just like crack? No kidding!!

Congrats on the purchase - what a ball you're going to have! I raced a '79 Crossle for years, and remember a number of tussles with Lola and Van Diemen drivers. If I still had that old Ford and we were in the same neighborhood, what great time's we'd have!

If you haven't already, spend the $$ for a good driving school. You'll be way smarter, smoother, faster from the start, and will reap far more giggles per mile than if you were try the old 'learn as you go' routine.

I swear, once my bride gets over the sticker shock of the GT40, I'll pick up another FF.

Damn, but those were fun times... hope your experience is even better!

T.

Congratulations SalmJo!
My FF was a late sixties Russell Alexis. Fire Red with all chrome suspension parts. Crossflow Kent motor with DCOE Webers and a ball to drive. Won my first heat race first time out. That car drove itself. One of the best memories of my life was driving and winning in that car.
Mike

If you haven't already, spend the $$ for a good driving school. You'll be way smarter, smoother, faster from the start, and will reap far more giggles per mile than if you were try the old 'learn as you go' routine.

Bertil Roos three day, end of this month! Having trouble staying focused at work.

Oh wait, that's normal.

Good to hear everyone has had a good time with these. I just never thought I would be doing anything like this. Too much fun!

Back