Keeping the dirt out

Having driven about 900 miles this weekend to Road America and back, and being caught in a massive downpour, I was wondering if any of you have found a good way of keeping the dirt out of the the engine compartment and the front end.... It is amazing how filthy this thing gets...

I never found anything to keep those parts clean. They are pretty much exposed to the elements at all times. I did find that cleaning the entire car also doubled as a good way to check for loose bolts since you pretty much need to wipe everything down.

How was RA?

well, you're right about checking everything! RA was great as usual. Ive been going there for 9 years and won't be stopping anytime soon. Fabulous atmosphere, both on track as in town.

Gus,

Although your post was brief regarding your trip to RA I envisioned you at the wheel of your GT40 with rain pouring down, the wiper working hard to keep up, road spray all around you, huge trucks dwarfing you, silly on-lookers filming you, and the sound of your motor clashing with the sound of the rain under tire. Wow, 900 miles. I tip my hat to you sir!

Gus I'll bet it was a great trip even with the rain. On my first ever road trip in the 40 it poured. Even after my best efforts to plug all the holes my right shoe filled with water. Not much room to move your feet out of the way of the drips. After about 8 hours in the rain I got Boise just in time to slosh my way into a concert. I can laugh about it now. The rain came in through the air intake on the front clip for the heater. After that trip I starting carrying plastic bags to fill those unexpected holes. And no there's no way to keep it clean, sorry. The important part here is that you're getting to drive the car. Don't wait laugh about it now.

Gus,

Although your post was brief regarding your trip to RA I envisioned you at the wheel of your GT40 with rain pouring down, the wiper working hard to keep up, road spray all around you, huge trucks dwarfing you, silly on-lookers filming you, and the sound of your motor clashing with the sound of the rain under tire. Wow, 900 miles. I tip my hat to you sir!

It was all that! I guess I'm not a man of many words... I assume most on this forum have been there themselves, but I could be wrong. You forgot to mention water getting into the cabin and soaking my legs... in spite of my efforts to waterproof the car! I suppose I have more work to do...

Gus I'll bet it was a great trip even with the rain. On my first ever road trip in the 40 it poured. Even after my best efforts to plug all the holes my right shoe filled with water. Not much room to move your feet out of the way of the drips. After about 8 hours in the rain I got Boise just in time to slosh my way into a concert. I can laugh about it now. The rain came in through the air intake on the front clip for the heater. After that trip I starting carrying plastic bags to fill those unexpected holes. And no there's no way to keep it clean, sorry. The important part here is that you're getting to drive the car. Don't wait laugh about it now.

The first encounter with a massive downpour was a few weeks back, I wasn't so happy, but after RA, I'm taking it in stride. I drive my cars. It's been road legal for 7 weeks, I just passed 2000 miles on it... A nice consolation was that I took 1st in class in the Saturday night Classic car show! With some heavy hitters present, like another SPF, Aston Martins, Ferraris, Shelby Mustangs and Cobras!

Back