Knock On Wheels experience

Guys,

they guy that bought by Tornado is looking for some upgrades.

He wants some knock on 15" wheels from vintage wheels and perhaps aluminum uprights that can carry a 6pot break caliper.

My question is, who is using such a combo and how does it look on the car?
Currently I don't understand if the wheel moves a bit outside switching from standard Granada hubs and image wheels to knock on wheels ....

I know that Vintage wheels can make custom setups but if possible I would love to keep the measurements we have at the moment because of TUEV ( :yuck: ) and the whole setup of the car took me quite a while, and I don't want to change it if not necessary.

So any advise is much apreciated

Cheers
(C)arlos

Carlos:
My experience with Vintage wheels was that the adapter was approx. .375 thick at the flange, this puts your track dimension out .750". I don't recall the backspacing on the wheels but with some chassis the tires were pretty close to the body. If you are switching to pin drives from regular bolt-up wheels you would need to check that backspace to retain that track dimension, minimize body interference, and keep your scrub radius the same as before.
The bolt-up is rather straightforward, and the wheels mount nicely. The only issue I could see would be the bolt centers on the adapter has a minimum dimension ( I forget what that was!) and as a result the adapter has a larger diameter than lets say an original wheel, but we did 5 on 4.5" bolt circle and it worked well.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Cheers
Phil

Phil,
thx a lot for the input. so .750 would be O.K on the front but I have doubts for the back. So I check all measurements and make sure he gets the right wheels...

How is the quality of the wheels and the adapters ? I only have seen them on pics and they seem to be very nice, but how about a year on the car and several miles on the clock ?
Cheers and thx
(C)arlos

Talk to Bob at Vintage. There's some room to change the wheel backspacing to fit your car. The wheels/adapters are already designed to work together to duplicate a standard backspacing, but that can be changed slightly by further machining.

Back