KOSO RX2N - Gas Gauge Question

SLC 2012 build date/gas tank level gauge.

The KOSO asks to set the OHM fuel resistance setting to either 100 or 510. Anybody know which setting is the correct one. One might ask well does the digital bar gas gauge screen either work or not. It's not that simple for the gauge seems to either always read full or not.

I'm also curious as to the gas tank capacity. The specs from the manual says..... but hasn't the capacity changed with different years/builds.

Thanks ahead of time - Mike

The new tanks are 19.2 gallons, by my calculations, plus whatever you have in the surge tank (assuming you have one). Your car has the new tank style.

You should select the 100 ohm setting.

The kit ships with a specific sender that is designed to work only with the Koso, and for the side profile of the tank. "Normal" GM-type senders, etc will not work, as they use the wrong resistance range, as well as an incorrect resistance curve for the shape of the tank.

Thanks Will, I do have it set on 100 ohm. If you remember when I started the car for you - it didn't start -- it ran out of gas. And, the gauge really didn't indicate the tank was empty. The gas station pump seemed to click off a lot today and I really couldn't easily tell if the tank was truly full. Just wondering if this will be the type of fuel gauge that will indicate full or 3/4 and then Bam... you look down and it suddenly says empty. I did set the low fuel warning light for 30% - we'll see and time will tell I reckon.

Thanks again for the info - Mike

Hi Mike,

The red car I had for a while had a Koso and the gas gauge seemed to be pretty accurate. You can test the gauge by hand with a 100 ohm pot pretty easily. Let me know if you need instructions.

One thing to note is that both the gauge and the sender are pretty severely damped, so a full fill often takes a few minutes to recognize.

The sender has (I think) 8 steps to map into 10 lines on the fuel bar graph, so you won't see 8 1/2 bars, for example- it goes from one line to another in a stepped manner.

Why don't you test your gauge, and your sender, then you will know which is a problem- assuming either one is.

It's quite possible that the gauge isn't wired correctly. Can you verify that you have a good ground, the sender wire running to the gauge, and a switched 12V power wire to the gauge as well? Most "regular" senders don't get a power wire, so this is often left off and it doesn't work correctly without the power to the sender circuit.

HTH,

-Will

Will - the tank is full or close to full now. The gauge also indicates full. I'll check my miles driven against maybe 10-15 miles per gallon in the next couple weeks and see what those indicator gauge bars say. I'd have pull the seats and rear panel to get at the tank gauge so not ready to go there yet -- if at all.

I had my official virgin voyage today in it and put about 50 miles on the car. This car is a magnet for other drivers with cell cameras and some doing really stupid shit to get their shot.

Back