KVA info needed for UK to France export

Hi,

a friend is currently looking for as much infos as possible on KVA replicas,
as he is looking to buy an exemplary that is roughly 90% complete

The kit was bought in 1989, seller has bill in his name and and the VIN stamped in 2021 (dvla)

We dont know much about the UK rego specific requirements, but it would be really helpfull for us to gather as much infos (build sheet, history) for an historical vehicle applyment here in FR

or if any data can be shared (weight... type)

thanks,

Romain

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0748.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 159
  • thumbnail_IMG_0754.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0754.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 159

Mike Pass

Supporter
Does the car have a UK V5 registration document?
Is the car in the UK? If the car has a V5 and in the UK or the previous owners(s) may be known to the GT40 Entthusiasts Club.
The VIN number which is stamped in 2021. Who stamped it and how does this relate to the DVLA?
To better understand what you are dealing with some pics of the front and rear clips would be very helpful.
I have some KVA information but I am not sure what you need.
Cheers
Mike

if it has an 2021 UK V5 is after Brexit so not as easy to transfer to an EU registration.
If it hasn't a V5 at all, just forget about it as it won't happen to get that street legal anymore.

PM sent ;)

JP, with proper V5 french paperwork might be evenly difficult because of the donor mentionned
(Cortina maybe but this one has 302 engine - from my understanding)
Maybe we could get away with the 1989 bill from original buyer, full receipts, and a KVA tech sheet, but that has chances to fail too

You better contact Paul Hendrickx as he live in France. Member of this board, speeks French, and been there done that with his GT40.
I had pre Brexit paper work with mine which made registration easyer last year.

You all were right,
after extensive study of this case our expert found out the only way to acheive a FR registration would be through historic plates, and the file cant be filled from a 2023 V5, The kit manufacturing/sell date of 89 would not matter, 30 years + V5 is mandatory

There may be other options we are considering, but the buyer is not really into track only oriented... we will update if anything solves the problem

thanks again

Hi Romain:
The EU (and Austria in my case) have become very picky about emission standards, pedestrian safety features, etc. I managed to get a GT40 (RCR first registered in England in 2015 under IVA regulations = old-fashioned emission requirements) but now would strongly recommend getting a car which qualifies for historic plates: a well documented(!) car with first registration prior to at least 1990, ideally with historic title established in the country of purchase. Some of these cars may not have the same build quality as more recent kits but once you have one you can always upgrade it to your liking. Also note that cars from outside the EU may be harder to register if they enter the EU for the first time. Last not least, if you can avoid catalytic converters do so! The engine bay gets hot enough without them .... Good luck

Things to look out for when importing a car (historic or not) into the EU:

Catalytic converters became mandatory for newly registered cars in the EU typically at the end of the 1980’s. Exact dates differ: Austria Jan. 1, 1988, Italy or GB Jan 1. 1993. Now, if one imports a car into Austria with a first EU registration before Jan. 1 1993 one can get away without a cat. Note it has to be a EU registration, more precisely, a registration in one of the current(!) EU member countries. So thanks to Brexit a UK registration in, say, 1988 does not count. The registration year 1988 will be honoured but the car has to meet the Austrian standards of 1988 - that is a catalytic converter will be mandatory. This information is based on my own experience and an article (in German): https://oldtimer-guide.at/news/historisches-fahrzeug-und-keinkat-nicht-alles-ist-moglich#

So while all European counties may have their own special rules (and exceptions!) this serves for an example of what to look out for. It generally makes a difference whether one imports from another current EU country or from outside the EU. When I got my car street registered in April 2022 (import in 2020) in Austria, Austrian authorities ruled this to be it’s first EU registration in spite the fact that it’s first registration was Sept. 2015 in England, then member of the EU; just like Julius Caesar not being Roman but Italian ;-) Of course, this ruling implied a lot more money to the government.

Ideal would be a car pre 1988 with historic plates. Well built GT40 replicas / continuations from this era are scarce. Also, I would be worried trying to import/register a car offered as ``historic” or ``model year 1977" when the company that built it did not even exist 20 years ago. In any case I would first consult an experienced registration agent before any such purchase. Mine lived up to his promise ;-)

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Things to look out for when importing a car (historic or not) into the EU:

Catalytic converters became mandatory for newly registered cars in the EU typically at the end of the 1980’s. Exact dates differ: Austria Jan. 1, 1988, Italy or GB Jan 1. 1993. Now, if one imports a car into Austria with a first EU registration before Jan. 1 1993 one can get away without a cat. Note it has to be a EU registration, more precisely, a registration in one of the current(!) EU member countries. So thanks to Brexit a UK registration in, say, 1988 does not count. The registration year 1988 will be honoured but the car has to meet the Austrian standards of 1988 - that is a catalytic converter will be mandatory. This information is based on my own experience and an article (in German): https://oldtimer-guide.at/news/historisches-fahrzeug-und-keinkat-nicht-alles-ist-moglich#

So while all European counties may have their own special rules (and exceptions!) this serves for an example of what to look out for. It generally makes a difference whether one imports from another current EU country or from outside the EU. When I got my car street registered in April 2022 (import in 2020) in Austria, Austrian authorities ruled this to be it’s first EU registration in spite the fact that it’s first registration was Sept. 2015 in England, then member of the EU; just like Julius Caesar not being Roman but Italian ;-) Of course, this ruling implied a lot more money to the government.

Ideal would be a car pre 1988 with historic plates. Well built GT40 replicas / continuations from this era are scarce. Also, I would be worried trying to import/register a car offered as ``historic” or ``model year 1977" when the company that built it did not even exist 20 years ago. In any case I would first consult an experienced registration agent before any such purchase. Mine lived up to his promise ;-)

Yes, unfortunately the situation got worse in recent years and now it is almost impossible to register such a car in Germany :mad:
However, there are way to succeed but they require a different approach. Now you first check what qualifies for registration then you search for a potentiell car....

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
For latest emmissions Southern GT did several builds with CATs on SBFs with efi and undertook IVA with the latest emmissions requirements and passed. Its nothing to be affraid of in regards to emmissions and fitting cats on a GT40. Fully doable.

Yes CATs are doable of course - my car has them and I wanted it this way. They are just something one has to be aware of. It is best to start out with an engine designed for them. Not sure what it would take to bring a ``1973” Mexican block V8 to Euro 5 or 6 standard - haha? A strict emission test under Euro 5 or 6 driving conditions is not that trivial or cheap. Even if one passes it I'm afraid the extra CATs and pipes act like a heater coil under the clam shell...
The main point I wanted to make is this: an imported car, first registered in the UK when they still were part of the EU, now may be treated as though it enters the EU for the first time. Also, if the IVA let you get away with a `1973” Mexican block V8 (no CATs and 1973 emission standards) in your 2012 GT40, this will not go well upon import for road registration in the EU.
Unfortunately, law makers do not honor that GT40 owners spend a lot of their spare time in the garage and hence off the road anyway ;-) .

Lets not foget emission tax. In Holland that will ad about €65000,- for a V8 powered GT40.

Holland is basicaly impossible to import a GT40 from the UK and get it road legal registered. It wil be tested & registrated as a 2023 car meaning it has to aply with 2023 mandations. Even if the car has a way older V5 registration.
New builds basicaly undoable to get road legal.

Good news for us on the continend, it will ad value to the GT40s that are already road legal in Europe as I won't see more comming now.

Vous aviez tous raison,
après une étude approfondie de ce cas, notre expert a découvert que la seule façon d'obtenir une immatriculation FR serait à travers des plaques historiques, et que le dossier ne peut pas être rempli à partir d'un V5 2023, la date de fabrication/vente du kit de 89 n'aurait pas d'importance, 30 ans + La V5 est obligatoire

Il y a peut-être d'autres options que nous envisageons, mais l'acheteur n'est pas vraiment orienté uniquement vers la piste... nous le mettrons à jour si quelque chose résout le problème.

Merci encore

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-15-15-58-43-49_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-15-15-58-43-49_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 59
Back