Laminated glass side windows

Hello,
I have been doing some research and finally found a company that would manufacture laminated glass windows, to replace the plexiglass windows on mk1 and mk2 gt40.

I hate the plexiglass windows i have on mine and wanted to get some other opinions on this matter.

The tooling will cost 3k and each window about $600.

If there are more people that are looking for this feature, please pm, me so we can split the tooling cost.

Thanks,
Nino

Ian,
I have seen this thread before, however i am trying to keep the original shape of the GT windows.
I have seen people use the old 67 LTD windows, and did not look like a GT40 anymore.

Fiberfab was using the ame windows with their Avenger Gt-12

None of the racing ones, that is what i am trying to accomplish.
I wanted to keep all the shapes and the small opening, however i wanted to make laminated glass instead of plexiglass

I am not sure on the gt40 roadster.
It may have had plexy or temperted glass.

The glass company that i talked to, said that the laminated glass does not work well with holes or bolt pressure, thus the small opening would slide on a rail, instead of being hinged and be a flaper window.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
maxresdefault.jpg
I don't understand how you will attach the glass side window to door.

Most use screws through the plexiglass.

Do you plan to glue the side windows like some do the windshield?

Ron McCall

Supporter
I'm curious why you would use laminated glass on the side windows? Didn't manufacturers stop this practice in the '40s or '50s??
As far as I know only the windshield is made from laminated glass.

Urethane bead
You are correct, the windshield is laminated.
From what i understand, Fire fox glass llc can do tempered glass also, i will check with them.

Ron,
The reason I was looking at the laminated glass, is that it might be more forgiving to body flex. I don't know if the tempered glass will break due to door flexing.
If there are people with experience in automotive glass industry, please chime in.
I am not an expert in glass and am glad that I started this thread, as you guys are giving me some pointers I could use.

If tempered glass would be strong enough, then it would probably be better than laminated anyway. You can make all the cuts and holes prior to tempering it, then it would be fine. You can have your holes to mount it (it can be removed whenever) and keep the flapper window hinged the same.
Fox Fire Glass LLC make automotive glass for restoration purposes. I am not advertising them, as I don't know them personally.

Seems that glass side windows in general would add weight up high where you don't want it, and as a builder, I can tell you there's isn't much of a ridge in the door to keep it all conformal with the glass and urethane bead in place. Also, the front corner where the glass converges could be prone to cracks as there isn't much there. The glass on the other hand could add some dimensional stiffness to the door but not sure if that's all that important in this car.

That said, the new Ford GT, Porsche, and I believe the BMW i8, have recently started to use 3M Corning's "Gorilla Glass" to reduce weight up high in the car. It won't be lighter than Lexan (it's not plexiglass, BTW) but it would be lighter than the glass you are proposing. I have no idea on costs but it would be curious to see if your tooling can also be used to make the piece in Gorilla Glass composite.

Tom,

Thank you for your reply. The tooling should not be a problem as i plan on 3d printing the shape, then mold it in Al.
I will contact the glass comp and see if they can work with the gorilla glass.

I have seen this glass used on cellphone protective shield. It should be available for automotive use.
Tempered glass would be better than my original idea.
Will construct it where all the mounting holes are pridrilled and renforced with the black outline.

Back