Lateral Turbo Manifold in an SL-C

Has any company made a turbo manifold for a domestic V8 similar to the one designed for the new BMW S63 motors (found the X5 M, X6 M, new M5 models)?

Would such a rig even fit under the glass of an SL-C? Would the cost to duplicate be worth the performance?

BMW M Head of Engine Development explains the engine and cross bank exhaust manifold in detail here.

In the future, a new direct injection Coyote motor or the up-coming Gen V GM small block would make cool domestic candidates for such a select procedure...

Here's a brief description:
Special features of the M V-8 is a pulse-tuned exhaust manifold and two low-mass twin-scroll turbochargers positioned together with the catalytic converters in the ‘V’ section between the two banks of cylinders. By reversing the flow of gases through the engine from traditional arrangements, the intake and exhaust ducts are shortened and widened. The result is that pressure losses on the exhaust side are minimized.

This configuration, known as Cylinder-bank Comprehensive Manifold (CCM), offers quick turbo spooling, a linear build-up of engine power, and a broad, consistent torque curve by feeding each of the twin turbochargers with a ‘charge pulse’ at approximately every 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation, rather than the more traditional ‘irregular schedule’ of charging.

Are are some pictures:

2dhfjg9.jpg

jqgyo7.jpg

28tyiyr.jpg

bmw_m5_engine_12.png

Last edited:
That's a pretty interesting setup. It's like a mini bundle of snakes. Of course you need the heads to be reversed. I wonder if you could swap left and right heads on a coyote? I'm guessing probably not.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Looks like those heads are swapped over. Just looks like they took the left and right heads and put them on the other side. As far as swapping them on the Coyote... Probably could be done. May need a little bit of modification to the cooling passages and oiling passages, but I'm sure the timing stuff would be fine.

coyote heads, like any heads for Fords modular engines, cant be swaped like that. Its hard enough to swap between 2,3, and 4V heads even though the blocks are almost identical.

Back