latest race video From Phillip Island 18th May

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good one Ross thanks for posting. By the way you are using your hands it looks like you have not fully got rid of the heavy steering issue?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Pete
I think after 4 years I've got into a bad habit of driving it like that.To be honest the steering is still heavy in the corners but is a hell of a lot lighter than it used to be.

Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
Thanks for the video Ross. Must have been very greasy out there listening to the engine note, very low rpm at times. But those cars in front weren't pulling away under acceleration so you have matching power now. Didn't hear much wheelspin, were you keeping well away from that to keep the car straight?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Malc I didn't have the power to stay with the P....... cars in the dry but it was different in the wet as you can see.I reckon I had much more grip than them but I was being very cautious after going off twice on saturday. Quite a contrast from the start when it was dry.You could see the yellow Lambo parked on the right but what you can't see is another Lambo beached on the left just around the corner.So 4 wheel drive didn't help them on a greasy track. I finished 5th behind the P...... cars Frank.

Ross

Malcolm

Supporter
A more cautious approach always allows you to play tomorrow! Glad to hear you have your Red Mist under control.

Great job Ross, Driving Phillip Island in the wet on dry tyres is not for the feint hearted ! Who was in the yellow Lambo or dont I need to ask ?

Iain

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lain I think you have already guessed it is Ted Hughlin in the yellow Lambo. Transferring from Ferrari has not corrected his off track excursions. I think aiming my car around him on the start is a good idea too don't you think?

Ross:laugh:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Bill and all for the positive comments.It confirms to me that the effort is well worth it.

Ross:thumbsup:

Ross, do you have a steering angle sensor on your Motec ? I need to get a feel for what sort of angle you are pulling around MG / Honda at PI.

Iain

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Lain
No such luck on the steering angle sensor, I'm very low tech and only have the clubman M48 Motec running the engine.I have no data logging. I do need some G force data in cornering now so I am looking into it. I see I have the steering wheel at nearly 180° in those corners (from the video) so I'll set up a test for you and get the steering angle from a static test. I'm picking up the Pantera today after it's mammoth journey from the USA so I may be distracted for the next couple of days.

Ross

So Ross, you finally weakened & bought a P car, or was it just a clever way of getting a spare Transaxle for the 40 without incurring the wrath of Mrs Nicol. :)

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Ah your onto me Jac Mac, Ford motors and ZF transaxles are just my cup of tea.Swapping them from one car to the other is a bit of a problem though, and I'm sure you know why.The Pantera is a P car but it's not a P...... car, I think I've started a trend with the P....car thing so I may as well set my own rules. The GT40 race motor is going together well, but an issue has arisen so I'll talk to you about that.Ooh youv'e hit a raw nerve on the Mrs Nicol line, i've had to give up the Toy Shop and currently I'm trying to start a new business hiring the workshop/hoist and equipment out of it.

Ross:uneasy:

Hey Ross, excellent video.

I've posted a quicky on your build log about your camera mount. I'm heading up to Bag-a-Lego raceway (WA) in a couple of weeks with the racer (400hp TR8 sadly) and want to rig up the Sony to catch the mayhem that will surely unfold.

Cheers

Back