LED Headlights

I am looking for LED headlights for my GTD. I have searched the forum extensively but have yet to see any part numbers or links to a set of LED headlights or bulbs. Can anyone provide some options? Thanks.

Are you looking for complete headlights with ECE markings or just LED bulbs to replace the H4 bulbs.
Havent seen complete LED direct replacement headlights assemblys for the GT40 to replace those square Marchal units.
You could opt for LED replacement bulbs but they mostly give a wrong light pattern when used in a H4 or H1 headlamp or spotlamp assembly which will fail MOT.
The other reason for sticking to regular Halogen bulbs is heat. Heat evaporates the moisture that gets trapped behind the covers.

I did some testing with my lower spotlamps (FoMoCo).
1650808162974.jpeg

Test one, H1, standard 55W Halogen bulb
20210411_062411.jpg

Test two, H1 Rally 100 Watt Halogen bulb,
1650808504844.jpeg

Test three, H1 LED replacement bulb, (advertised as H1 6500K WHITE COB LED 36W 8000LM)
1650808750489.jpeg

I went for 55/60 Watt H4 bulbs in the headlamps and 100 Watt H1 bulbs in the lower spotlamps. All switched through relays so all power goes to the lamps. (direct 12 Volts to the relays & relays got switched by the switches. No loss in power to the lamps = more light).

The lingo for LED is Lumen. A regular H4 bulb does about 1800 Lumen and about 1700 Lumen for a H1. Lumen is the amount light produced.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have fitted led bulbs to the existing headlights. I had forgotten I had fitted them but they passed the UK MoT test with no problems. I will look up what they were.
Cheers
Mike

I bought some cheap led bulbs for my 500cc moped.
They gave better light but not like "wheeey", went from superbad to just bad with the bulb only.
Have a look at ebay, aliexpress etc and give them a try.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I have looked up my info on the led bulbs.
I got them from www.bettercarlighting.co.uk. Guarantee for 5 years. Contact them to get the correct bulbs and price for the headlamps you have. They know GTD40s so should be no problem.

I had looked up the dozens of types and suppliers of led bulbs and found it a bit of a minefield as many gave the wrong beam pattern, or too hot etc. If the leds are not in the correct place the beam pattern will be wrong. I think the headlights in my GTD are from a Vauxhall Viva HB or HC.
I thought that the bulbs in my GTD were H4 so when they arrived they were wrong but they exchanged them for the correct ones immediately to the correct P45T ones. They were not cheap but they passed the UK MoT test. One advantage not mentioned is that they take a lot less current than the filament type.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

I've also fitted bulbs from here to my SGT. It also has viva headlights. The bulbs I have are a little longer than standard as they have a fan fitted to the back to keep them cool. The light produced is dramatically better than the high output bulbs I had previous, but also as Mike says, the power usage is a lot better. I've now converted the whole car over to LED bulbs, including the dashboard.
Good luck.
Tony

Back