Long Awaited Mustang Dyno Run

This is not a tale of over the top HP, but rather a accounting of a real world street car engine.

I know its not a run on my 40, but we finally have a local Dynojet (yeah !) so I brought out my '65 Mustang Fastback to finally record a dyno run on the engine I built for it some 3 1/2 years ago (it now has @ 1600 miles on it) the original run was for a '68 .030 block, stock bottom end, stock heads, Performer manifold, performer cam, Holley 1850, 1 5/8 Hedman headers.

This basline run back in 2001 posted a whopping 168.9 RWHP @ 4400, 223 RWT @ 3400. This with a std. C4 trans and 2.80 gears. This equates to about 219 FWHP, 290 FWT

Yesterday even though it was a bit warm (80-85d) the new engine: FMS B50 Hyd. roller short block, FMS windage tray, milled .030, lightly ported GT40P (Iron) heads (9.7:1), FMS roller rockers, Crane 2031 cam, same performer manifold, same Holley 600 cfm carb, 1 1/2 Tri-Y headers to 2-1/4" exhaust.

Even though the HP came in a bit less than I would have liked but I was quite pleased with the torque #'s, the run produced 238 RWHP @ 5400 and 272 RWT @ 4100 this comes to about 307 FWHP and 351 FWT, thats around +80HP & +60 lbs.Torque at the flywheel, +70 and +49 at the wheels respctivly and the power just leveled off and stayed the same for the next 400 RPM where I shut it down and then backed it up with an almost identcal run, BTW air/fuel was 12.90 the whole way (no tuning) how about that. I must also mention the car weighs in @ 2900 lbs.

I am aware that the numbers are probably not impressive to most of this crowd, but to put things into perspecitve:

'65 Shelby GT350 306 FWHP, 329 FWT
'96 Ford Mustang Cobra 305 FWHP, 300 FWT, 3354 lbs.
'99 Ford Mustang Cobra 320 FWHP, 314 FWT, 3425 lbs.
'04 Ford Mustang Cobra 390 FWHP, 390 FWT, 3660 lbs (+760 #)
'05 Ford Mustang GT 300 FWHP, 315 FWT, 3425 lbs.

Did I mention that this engine build, including balancing was done for $2750, I cant wait to get the Posi unit with some gears in it, and I really cant wait to put enough miles (@ 100 now) on the 40's new engine to dyno it, I'm figuring with the AFR heads and other small touches it should produce 50-60 more HP and I would be happy with the same torque numbers but probably it will see 5-10 less. I'll let you know

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Feel free to PM me if you need help putting some miles on the car!

Curiously, was your sub $3k engine bill for a start-from-scratch motor or did you supply some combination of parts not included in the $2750 (read: can your motor be completely duplicated for the same money?)?

Chris

Chris,
The only part used from the original motor was the intake manifold, so add @ $125, this engine was built in April of 2001, the short block was a killer deal, probably not to be duplicated, I just bought another identical one w/ 3000 mi on it for twice what I paid for this one, keep in mind this was done before 911 so things were considerably less expensive. Just to compare the engine I just finished (w/ AFR 165's used) including balancing I did this year for $3500. I must say I find it amazing that there are two Chris K's on this forum

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Yeah, I was bummed when I went to set up my login and I found that *MY* id was already taken. Oh well.

For my build, my priorities are trans, kit, then motor so I am curious to see what is out there in the lower end of the spectrum. I have been to the Keith Black site and checked into FMS and it seems there are reasonable opportunities around $5k.

But first, I am inclined to go with a ZF and this is impacting the budget for other items. All in due time I guess.

And again, I'd be happy to arrange to put miles on the 40 for you!! But in the meantime, have fun with it.

Chris

The tranaxle is everthing and a commitment is good to make early on, the ZF will dent the budget more than most, your best bet for an engine, depending on your wallet is 1) Have a professional engine builder make all of the decisions and assemble it for you, but whats the fun in that. Or 2) start with a good block or shortblock and work with a machinist to get it where you want it and make the decisions youself, cam, heads Porting (or not), rotating assy.(stroker, or not) intake, carb, carb tuning, ignition, pan, etc, etc. at least thats my .02 on it.

Chris can I just call you Mr. Underscore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back