Long riv nut inserts needed

Hi all

Can you get different length riv nut inserts as the ones I have our a little too short. I am trying to pass the rivnut insert through a aluminium panel and steel bracket but the end of the nut only just sticks out. I am worried that when I install it there won't be enough of the insert to pinch at the back and hold it into place. I have had a look on a few website and ebay but they all seem to be one standard size.

The diameter riv nuts I am using are 7mm with the thread 5mm.

Any help much appreciated

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
If the bracket is that thick I would just drill and tap a thread directly into the bracket and forget using rivnuts.

Dimi

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I know your in UK
but see if you can find what you need at McMaster-Carr.

The McMaster site says they ship international. I don't know anyone who has ordered from the UK but would love to know how it worked. In the US I often receive my order the next day for a nearly negligible shipping charge, and the selection of riv nuts, threaded inserts and related tools is amazing.

What's the depth you need Trev? I can go down my local engineering supplies here and see. I know wthey have them with different panel thicknesses.

Hey Brett, measured the rivnuts I am using this morning and they are M5 rivnuts which are 12mm deep and still a little too small. Would probably need 18-20mm deep if you can get some. Need about a dozen

Appreciate your help

Hi,
What about spot facing the back of the bracket around the hole to effectivly thin the bracket down enough to allow fitment of your exsisting nut-serts? Just a thought......

Jerry

Trev,
I want to make sure I am clear what you are asking for. Are the Current rivnuts 12mm in total length, and you want 18-20mm?

Do you know the panel thickness? You can get longer rivnuts but they only work with the same panel thickness.

Also, do you want countersunk or flat?

PS will be tomorrow at the earliest, as I am doing the nursery runs today

Last edited:
The rivnuts need to go through a 2mm sheet of aluminium and then a 3mm piece of steel so around 5-6mm total. The total length of the insert is approx 13mm. 12mm is the main body and the 1mm for the head.

I think an insert of around 16mm or greater would be perfect. The 12mm ones I have might just clamp but I'd prefer to have some longer riv nuts for slightly better clearance.

It might be that if I can't get the length I need I will have to go up a size to 6mm diameter

Trev

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The rivnuts need to go through a 2mm sheet of aluminium and then a 3mm piece of steel so around 5-6mm total. The total length of the insert is approx 13mm. 12mm is the main body and the 1mm for the head.

I think an insert of around 16mm or greater would be perfect. The 12mm ones I have might just clamp but I'd prefer to have some longer riv nuts for slightly better clearance.

It might be that if I can't get the length I need I will have to go up a size to 6mm diameter

Trev

Strictly speaking you should go by the thickness range specified for the rivnuts. If you are too thick it might not grab all the way, and too thin it might not be strong enough.

Hi all

Just to let you know that I managed to find a set of longer rivnuts that are designed for the grip range that I need. Took a little bit of searching but they are spot on

build-october3.jpg

Thanks for your help guys

Trev

Back