Long time viewer.

Hi all, As per title I have long admired the builds of some lovely GT40's on here. I have never really been in a position to be able to push the button and order one for myself, possibly until now.
This is where you guys come in, I would like the benefit of your experience as a guide to what I can or cannot do.
Have been in touch with a guy who has a I would say about 75% completed GT Forte, I have not seen it other than photo's. I believe all the bits and pieces to complete are present along with invoices.
However, here's the rub, there are only invoices for engine and gearbox being rebuilt. They are a pre 75 Boss engine and an Audi V8 gearbox.
Now I know the engine was a crate motor from the States, so that would seemingly not be a problem to ask the company for a Cert of Newness ( see I have been looking and lurking for a while) where as the gearbox sounds most likely to be a 2nd hand rebuild.
This all leads me to ask for your thought's about the above and how it all fits in with SVA test etc.
Oh what I do not want to do is end up with a Q plate.
Hope there is enough info for any of you to give me your thought's, thanks in advance,

Doug.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I assume you are in the UK as you mention SVA (which is now IVA). As far as IVA is concerned you are allowed one component which is not new so used both engine and box will get the dreaded Q plate. Usually the engine is the most usual used item. The emissions needed at IVA (and which will stay with the car for the future) depends on the age of the block. Pre 1975 blocks are popular for this reason because the the requirement is only for “no visible smoke”. The engine you mention may be new - if it is then the highest level of emissions will apply which would need fuel injection and cats. If a rebuilt engine then the IVA emissions will be dependent on the age of the block.
I have sent you a message through this forum. See top right of page.
Cheers
Mike

Neil

Supporter
"As far as IVA is concerned you are allowed one component which is not new so used both engine and box will get the dreaded Q plate."

o_O

"As far as IVA is concerned you are allowed one component which is not new so used both engine and box will get the dreaded Q plate."

o_O
Most have the engine block as their one "not new" component. As long as any parts you use to rebuild it are new you keep all receipts to prove it and you have a new or new old stock gearbox, again with a receipt in case it is required, then you will not get a Q plate.

Neil / Nick, thanks for that. This was the original thought I had after looking here, but had to ask the question to be sure.

Back