LSD

Does anyone know if all 944 have LSD?

I found a 944 in a pick-a-part yard. The yard workers don't know anything about it and all badges on the outside are gone.

So... would it be worth the trouble to pull the rear end out? Once out how do I tell if it is fitted with LSD? Is it worth buying the whole rear assembly? Anyone use the 944 trany in a GT40?

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No they do not.

Easiest way to tell is to have the car in the air, transmission in neutral, rotate one of the wheels and the other should rotate in the same direction if it is equipt with LSD.

Another way to tell is to jack one rear wheel off the ground, transmission in neutral - you should not be able to rotate the wheel in the air without an extreme amount of force if at all.

Thank you for that info Randy. I can check useing that method as the car is off the ground. I have been reading the posts on the forum but no one addressed my questions. Lots of really interesting info. If your not a real gear head it's hard to follow with out "player cards". Thanks again. Richard

Hi Richard. I hope you're doing well.

Surprisingly, very few 944s came equipped with LSDs. Many of the 944turbo's came with LSDs, and even some 944S's. But very few of the regular 944s came with LSDs. As Randy said, you can easily test out if it has an LSD w/o removing the transaxle.

If you do find an LSD and want to install it in an 016 then give me a ring - I can probably help with the drill having done it a couple times myself.

Cheers.

Thanks Cliff, I'll be checking it out tomorrow just to make sure I didn't win the lottery. By the way, things are moveing along pretty good. I'm getting the sheet pieces cut logally and should have them in a couple of weeks if all goes well. Talk with you soon. Richard

I owned an '84 944 and an '86 944T/951. Regular 944's, you have a one in a million shot of finding an LSD. A Turbo you have a decent shot at an LSD, and a Turbo S is a guarantee. If you see a transaxle cooler, another telltale sign it is probably an LSD unit.

No badging denotes an options package with an LSD, so there's no quick and dirty way to tell. The 951's have many special exterior bits and are very easily picked out, though.

Some comments on the trans...I had a ~350hp 951 and liked to nurse it through first, for sure. Never broke anything, but know plenty of 951 owners who did with similar or less power.

Richard, may I further suggest that you just keep an eye on ebay/local craigslist for one. Find a guy who is selling with local pickup only or something like that. These transaxles are a PAIN to take out, and I've needed a drill handy most every time, even on cars that have been on the road and kept reasonably clean. For a little more $$$, you get something that is sitting on the bench ready to be picked up, and with luck is even half-cleaned for you.

All great info. I wouldn't be looking for a LSD at this time but it is so rare that a Porsche is found in a Pick-a-part I though I'd take advantage of it if i could. At this stage of the build I have bigger fish to fry. I always like to keep an eye out... you never know what's around the corner. Richard

Back