Manual steering rack question

Crossing my fingers that I've measured everything correctly for the steering rack...however there were three options for the steering ratio on this custom rack. 3.8 turns lock to lock (slowest), 3 1/8 turns lock to lock, and 2.7 turns lock to lock (fastest).

I choose the fastest (1.8 ratio/2.7 turns) because well race car (sorta). Anyway I'm second guessing that decision now because I don't want it toooo stiff on the street at low speeds.

I have to decide now before I sign-off on the drawings since the center line of the pinion housing is different for each ratio. Sooo...any experience with similar manual racks that can help me out?

It doesn't help that I don't really know what a lot of the suspension geometry is going to be like when everything is buttoned up (castor,camber, scrub radius etc). I am pretty sure though that the roll center is going to be below ground and I can't recall if that affects steering feel also at speed/cornering. I appreciate your suggestions before I seal the deal.

Attachments

• 94435M_REV_P1.pdf
    200.2 KB · Views: 236

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've got a 911 rack that is about 1.5 turns LtL (but the steering angle is probably more limited than your application), and in a rear mid-engine 2100 lb car, it's very manageable on the street, and allows me a quick correction in the rain on the track.

Back