Manufactures cooperating on GT40 original development

Currently I am in state of learning and planning. I am in contact with kit manufactures. Right now I am thinking about to pick one manufacture in UK, order some parts from him and then source and look for the rest by myself (if possible).

I will probably start to study (along with going through the build logs) by reading the Ford GT40 Owners' Workshop Manual (Haynes) and after that I will get the Ford GT40: The autobiography of 1075 (Great Cars) and maybe the Ford GT40 Production and Racing History Individual Chassis Record.

But I suspect there won't be any information on where did Ford supply the parts from or who did make the parts customization. Is there somewhere a list of manufactures who cooperated on GT40 original development and better yet manufactures who are still in business or took over and producing "continuation" parts? It doesn't have to be necessarily book per say (maybe some magazine, blueprints or perhaps some materials directly from Ford)?

Thank you very much

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
There was a thread here years ago I will search for it...

found it!

Neil

Supporter
Unfortunately one source for this type of information is gone. John Horsman (FAV) died Monday.

There was a thread here years ago I will search for it...

found it!

Thank you very much Andy, great thread.

Neil: I am really sorry to hear that.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Really, very few if any of the original pieces would be of much help in building a current manufactures' kit. In many cases, brakes are a good example, the currently available aftermarket parts are many multiples better. The list goes on and on. Tires, gearboxes, electrics, just about the whole car really. In fact I would say that any of the current leading manufactures cars, properly completed, is a better car in so many ways it would be hard to compare them to a original one on performance alone.

Oh and they don't cost a million + bucks either

Do you know by any chance about anybody how is making the GT40 replicas directly in Europe? All I have found were mentions about GOX (but no websites...although GOX will be probably too expensive for me). Is there somebody else (cheaper) not necessarily the period correct manufacturer? I am still considering Tornado / Southern GT / GT Racing. But I would prefer some reliable manufacture directly in Europe closer to where I am living also I would like to avoid to pay the customs. Thank you for any lead :) .

Gelscoe do a full FIA compliant tool room car and parts. Start hitting the piggy now. Circa £300,000

Cheers
Mike

Hitting piggy :D yeah that is a little bit more than I am willing to spend right now. Is there some other option let's say in £40,000-100,000 region. I am probably OK if the car is not original like :D. I would prefer rather some cheaper European manufacturer (is there maybe somebody in Germany?).

I think it's important to clarify that most replicas/kits use their own space frame chassis with riveted alloy panels or a complete welded alloy chassis tub, all very different to a genuine 1960's Ford GT40 which has a steel chassis with an integral roof, (usually).
(As replicated almost exactly by Superformance, Gelscoe, Holman Automotive, WWW.BUILDINGANDRACINGALEGEND.COM etc., all at a cost relevant to the work & investment involved)

The cars may all look the same but you could have a selection of parts from different sources that will not fit together ! The exception being the cars in brackets above which are 'true' replicas rather than 'visual' replicas, even with these there is not 100% interchange possible.

I don't want to see you setting yourself expensive puzzles & problems. There's plenty of cost & work even if you get all the parts as a kit from one source !

Regards Steve

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I am lead to believe that at present the UK is still classified as in the EU so a purchase soon should not attract duty. There are pre ownwd cars available in the UK GTD, Tornado MDA CAV etc that people will sell, you get a car to drive now, and in the winter periods take it off the road and do whatever upgrades you desire. In a way these replicas are never finished, as things become available, better brakes, tyres, wheels, power train, carbs, EF, creature comforts etc.

ian

I am lead to believe that at present the UK is still classified as in the EU so a purchase soon should not attract duty. There are pre ownwd cars available in the UK GTD, Tornado MDA CAV etc that people will sell, you get a car to drive now, and in the winter periods take it off the road and do whatever upgrades you desire. In a way these replicas are never finished, as things become available, better brakes, tyres, wheels, power train, carbs, EF, creature comforts etc.

ian

I think the custom free trade should end at the end of 2020. Getting the pre owned gt40 whould be the solution but I would rather to build one from the start and since I will probably spend several years with the build customs are not really the crucial decision point. It would be convenient to have some manufacturer close so I can go to look at the place or I could transport some components by myself. However if there is not anybody Tornado/Southern GT like. I guess it is alright and I will choose some UK manufacturer.

Steve: Initially I really had a puzzle idea in my head :) but I reconsidered and I will try to be done with the build ASAP so I am gonna most likely source most of the parts from one source.

Back