Manx Classic 2008

Well, I am no longer a member of the Enthusiasts' Club, so I will pick it up here on our part of the forum. I have sent my application off to the MMRC for Sloc and Lhergy (not Bray Hill) and I am looking at travelling from Heysham on Thursday 17th and staying at the Mount Murray, which is adequate and has a large car park. This will get me there in time to spectate at Bray and scrutineer in my pit bay at Sloc on Friday morning. i am travelling back on Sunday morning.

We are pushing hard to get a really strong turn out at this wonderful event, which in past years has been a mix between a boys weekend away and a Top Gear challenge. I am urging all members of both Clubs to dust off their overalls andcome out to play. Please post if you are planning to be there.

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Glad this thread has been moved back to where it belongs! I very much hope to be able to compete in the 40, but there seems to be delivery issues with the trans I ordered, so I might have to use another car(again!). Both Nad with Cobra and myself are doing IOM for sure, a wonderful way to start the season. We are also staying at the Mount Murray( not the greatest culinary experience.....)and we're going via Liverpool 17th April. This event was my very first hill climb a few years ago, and I really encourage anyone who has even the slightest urge to try it out. Lhergy Frissel is probably the best hill climb in the British Isles. You will be hooked for life!

Paul, if you for some reason can't use A11 GTD, you are welcome to the SV or the C-Type. (That should slow you up a bit!)

Thanks Bjorn - that is very kind of you, I too am looking forward to 2008 and will confirm my entry to IOM after I've spoken with Roy tomorrow.

I'm obviously most comfortable in Roy's Mk1, but have a number of kind offers for a drive, so even if I don't take Roy's, I should still be 'in the seat' so to speak.

Not too sure I'd be too quick in the C-Type, it's fun to drive but I've never really felt safe driving 'open-top'. Although Silverstone as a passenger in Malcolm's Prosport Spyder was seriously 'inspiring'.(read friggin fast!:eek:)

Now the SV, that's a bundle of fun too.

Martin W - you coming over to play too? I think Dave P is up for it also and I'm fairly sure 'Uncle Ray' and RoyW are intending to go.(tbc)

Martin G - are you likely to be defending the 'C O H Baines Trophy'? for fastest time up Lhergy Frissell by a GT40? now you're finally in posession of the silver..?:eek:

Who knows, with me being 150+ lbs lighter, I might be quicker..... yeah right - I wish.....:rolleyes: what is it they say?
"the older I get the faster I was"..:lol:

Lherghy Frissell - Waterworks 2 - Happy days!

Attachments

• PTLhrgy2.jpg
    PTLhrgy2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 627

MWGT40

Supporter
Yes - I intend to be there as well. Wouldn't miss Isle of Man - it's the best season opener that you could want.

I will be staying at The Mount Murray as usual.

If I can manage to get my video editing software working, I will post some footage of the 2007 event on to the forum.

See you there!

Martin

MWGT40

Supporter
Who has booked in for the Manx Classic. I know that Julian Bailey Watts and I have at present, and I think that John, Bjorn and Nadine were planning to do it. Anyone else plan on competing there?

Bad news Martin - Martin, Mike P and myself booked in. Really glad you are going - it saves us a fortune in drinks. The good news is Frank is going and we are going to pick on him all weekend!!

MWGT40

Supporter
Frank is going? He usually doesn't go because the drive from Hailsham is so long. Is he flying or driving?

I believe flying to Manchester. Collected and overnight in exotic Burnley. Wednesday ferry.
Glad you didn't correct me on the drinks bit......

MWGT40

Supporter
Yes my car was there ... but I think you are mixing up the Le Mans Classic with the Manx Classic which is on the Isle of Man. There is a separate thread on the planned 2008 trip to the Le Mans Classic under the GT40 Enthusiasts Club section.

MWGT40

Supporter
Just spoke with Paul Thompson. He is going to come and share drive my car, so looks like we are going to have a good crowd.

John, I'm looking forward to a few beers

Sorry to say but I sold my GTD to Mike P so will not be taking part. Mike P I beleive will be having a go so we will need a trophy for the slowest GT40 up Ramsey!

As Martin says, I've been offered the chance to 2nd drive '6 GTD', which is something I'm really looking forward to.:pepper: The Island has a very special something about it that really brings a smile to all who either attend or take part.

I have also just spoken to Ray Christopher who confirmed that he and Roy Wing are also taking part in the proceedings in the GTD40 Spyder and Julian Bailey-Watts I think is also competing in his monster Chevy powered GTD40. (please confirm JBW.)

Andrew Fordyce will be driving his beautiful E-Type Jaguar, Bjorn Arnils and Nadine will be competing also, each in their supercharged Viper GTS (or Nadine might use her her Daytona Coupe Cobra) and I believe Dave Parker will be contesting with his R42... (as he's currently on hols so I'll confirm once I know for sure)

With good weather already booked (fingers crossed) I can see nothing but good times ahead indeed!! - rockonsmile

Hi Martin (W),

Bjorn's motor has arrived but we are awaiting the new transmission at the moment. Once that arrives we wll be cracking on with the job. If we are able to complete the work in time, then it may be running at the IOM too.

If it's not ready then the Viper will be on hand.

Martin (G) - If you can find 'any old banger' GT40 then you stand a chance of retaining the COH Baines Trophy...:D

Last edited:
Paul, thanks for the "heads up" on the situation with the ferries. They are looking pretty full up, so I urge anyone going to make sure they book as soon as possible. The Steam Packet Holiday company are dealing with the bookings on 08457 585833 and seem very helpful.

I am taking the E-Type and will be on the 14.15 from Heysham on Thursday, returning on the 08.45 on Sunday and staying at the Mount Murray. I am doing the events at Sloc and Lhergy but have decided to give the Douglas sprint a miss, I hope to arrive in time to spectate that the evening.

I am really looking forwards to the trip as we have had a lot of fun there in the past. I am also looking forward to seeing my old motor as well, it's great to see John using it properly and competing with it, I think it knows it's own way up Lhergy by now!

See you all for the start of the season.
Andrew

Well I may have found that old banger! I will polish up the Baines Trophy and take it to the event. I get the feeling this will be a great event.

Back