Massachusetts SEMA Legislation Alert

Charlie M

Supporter
The SEMA legislation has passed in the House and Senate and is now on the Governors desk. This legislation, H.B. 5194, allows replicas to be registered as the model year they most closely represent which will waive the emissions testing.

The DEP changed the emissions testing for replicas on 10/1/08. The new requirements are based on the EPA regulations which make it extremely difficult if not impossible to get an inspection sticker for a GT40 or similar replica.

Here's what is posted on the SEMA Action Network:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
Massachusetts Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Approved by Legislature; Moves to Governor for Signature
In a flurry of last minute activity, SEMA model legislation (now known as H.B. 5194) to create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles was approved by the Massachusetts State Legislature and now awaits the signature of the governor before becoming law. H.B. 5194 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation as the production vehicles they most closely resemble.

We Urge You to Contact Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request His Support for H.B. 5194

- H.B. 5194 provides specific registration classes for street rods and customs.

- H.B. 5194 exempts street rods and customs from emissions inspections.

- H.B. 5194 only hold street rods and customs to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.

- H.B. 5194 provides that a replica vehicle will be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it most closely resembles.

- H.B. 5194 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.

- H.B. 5194 allows street rods and custom vehicles to be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours and similar uses.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick immediately to urge his support for H.B. 5194.

Governor Deval Patrick
Phone: 888/870-7770
Fax: 617/727-9725
Click here to send an electronic message to the Governor:
Contact us - Office of the Governor

I'm hearing that there is some resistance to this bill among the Governor's staff. Please send an email, make a phone call, or both urging the Governor to support this. This legislation will make life a lot easier for us.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie M

Supporter
Bad news. After passing in the House and Senate with unanimous support, the Governor vetoed this bill yesterday over last minute objections from the Energy, Public Safety, and Environment departments.

There are Legislators willing to refile this for us. We'll try again.

Charlie

Charlie M

Supporter
At least 20 states have passed similar legislation. So far, our beloved Gov. Patrick is the only Gov. to veto it.

Charlie

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Charlie/Mark,

Are the legislators who are behind this bill advising/alerting the Govenor of the potential negative affect that not passing this bill will have on the hobbiest car market and all the revenue generated by hobbiest activity?

Seems to me with the Commonwealth under fiscal strain he would listen to that strong business argument and reality as to the minimal enviornmential impact vs the groups that lobbied him sucessfuly to vetoe the bill.

What are your thoughts and the thoughts and action planned by the legislators that plan to refile?

Tx, Steve

Charlie M

Supporter
Steve,

Anticipating that this would be the outcome, Legislators were lined up to refile the bill for us in the new session. I don't know who they are but I'll add to this thread or start another as I get more info.

Charlie

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Charlie,

Thanks for reply.

Let's hope the Gov applies logic vs emotion but, with politicians we can never be sure.

Steve

Actually, when I imported my car the EPA portion was the easy part compared to the DOT part. If it's in an original configuation, i.e. V8 with manual trans (5 gears) then it's considered an original car. I know you're not talking about importation here but those regs are in the info for importing cars.

Back