Mendeola Street Transaxle

Aparently Mendeola is soon to release a street 5 speed transaxle capable of 500lb-ft and 650HP.The information I got from them was that they will have information and/or a trans on display at SEMA (Vegas) in November, and at the PRI show in Orlando. Not sure if a Ford bellhousing pattern will be offered; Chevy yes. I found this at the bottom of their WEB page, so it prompted a quick call. $10K-$12K range, I'm told. I think Brammo is doing some work with them..That's about all the info I have, and wanted to share it with you. Cheers......
http://www.mendeolatransaxles.com/who_we_are.php?PHPSESSID=a91a64485670d1448d4fc15a69e2e59d

Andy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I talked to them about a month ago and they mentioned it. Would not give much more then it was in the R&D phase. Will be interesting as they look like they make a nice gear box, but what was odd is that they offer no limited slip, I'm guessing it is a spool for the diff since all the other boxes are for sand cars. That totally didn't sound right might have been 'Answer Phone Joe' giving out bad info at that point.

Sandy

Sandy,

They did mention that LSD will be available, otherwise it's an open diff. Big ring gear, 10" I believe.

Andy

I am planning to attend SEMA and will check this unit out. i wonder if it is based on the S5 or what. They look fairly long, but interesting.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Regardless of which which model #, the Mendeola trans will be two long to fit in a GT40. Unless it's a completely different box, shorten from their current models. Especially the S4 or S5, due to the sequential mechanism the tail end is 3-5 inches longer than the H-pattern shift. Plus they tend to be pretty heavy boxes as well.

Talked to Ian at Mendeola Transaxles for a bit concerning the new box, gear ratios, etc. Sent him my updated gear chart.

He said the unit is based on the S4/S5. I downloaded the spec sheet pdf file S4/S5 Spec Sheet
Looking at the length we may be in big trouble. From the engine mounting flange a stock ZF measures ~25" This unit measures 31.72 to the end of the gear indicator switch maybe 2" less if this is removed. That makes it 5" - 7" longer then the ZF 5 speed. Can any of our cars accommodate this?

Gary,

Is ~25" including the bell housing. The Mendeola trans include the bellhousing in the 31.72" + add .75 for a adapter plate. The distance from the output flange to the rear is 22.39". My Hewland is 17.4" from output flange to the ass end and it is getting tight. I talked with them just the other day and they stated that the new box will use the same gears as the S4 but in a five speed config. This means that the box will be even longer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Open diffs it probabally was. If these are all in Sand buggies, why no locking diffs? As I recall also they looked very long in the grand scheme of things (LG/NLT/Porsche/ZF). I am very happy to say that I'm not looking for any boxes anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I will do a Hewland NLT or LG if I blow the 930 box up, which I doubt will happen.

Sandy

Back