MK3 granada uprights on SGT

Im build my car with a SGT chassis, im must building up the suspension.
The ali uprights supplied by SGT are far outside my budget so mick at SGT said I could use MK3 Granada uprights.
Has anyone else on here used this set up. My issue is using the Mk3 upright im having loads of issues where the top of the upright is hitting the spring on the shock.
I made a temp top spacer on the 3D printer so that's not the issue.
Any help is very welcome

Photo to help

Attachments

• EBEB8B9A-7258-41CB-9579-BA2B7FD26144.jpeg
    EBEB8B9A-7258-41CB-9579-BA2B7FD26144.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 337

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi Phil

What if the hole in the top spacer was offset towards the car centre line, plus relieving the lug with a grinder... would that get you the clearance you need? I realise that's a change to KPI, but it might not need to be a huge change.

Eddy

It needs the be offset the other way to bring the upright vertical but can’t because it out hit the shock even more

Mike Pass

Supporter
I think the insert you have is not long enough or the tapered hole is too deep. The top arm angle looks too shallow - the outer end should be positioned higher. The inserts (mushrooms I have have a top lip and and the centre is raised also.
In the normal ride height position of the suspension should be so that the lower arm is at a slight angle downward and the upper wishbone angled upwards at a steeper angle. By this I do not mean the actual wishbone tubes but the "acting" wishbones which are the straight lines from inner pivot to outer pivot.
The idea behind this is that in bump as the upright rises the upper wishbone (usually shorter than the lower also) outer pivot moves inwards. The outer pivot of the lower wishbone moves slightly outwards. This increases the amount of negative camber as the suspension is pushed up. The idea is that this increase in camber compensates for the car rolling in a corner and keeps the tyre flat to the road.
The upright insert should set the upper wishbone at the correct angle to achieve this geometry.
Set the suspension as described and measure how much the mushroom should project above the upright and remake to suit.
If there is still an issue then another possible solution is to change from 2.25" shocks to 1.9" shocks.
Check with Paul Walton as I seem to remember that he has the Granada Mk3 front uprights on his car.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Even if I did have the top where I wanted it the top of the upright still hits the spring before the hub face is vertical, almost as if the position of the bottom of the upright needs to be further out. My heads done in with it

Ed McClements

Supporter
Does Mick supply different wishbones for Granada uprights, compared with the John Wisher-style cast aluminium uprights? And do you still have some adjustment remaining on the inboard end of the wishbones...on the rod ends?

He knew I was suing them, he recommended them so he sent wishbones that I assumed would be fine.

Iv got plenty of adjustment the issue is the top of the upright hits the spring what ever I do

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
What attaches to the hole in the top of the upright that contacts the spring?
could that be removed to gain the extra clearance?

ian

Mike Pass

Supporter
I think the first thing to do is check with Mick that you definitely have the correct wishbones for the Granada Mk3 uprights. Does he have some wishbone dimensions so you can check? Ask him what he makes of this interference issue with upright and spring. I know that this conversion has been done before. I remember seeing the parts down at SGT a few years ago. I should have some pics of the parts that I took then and a pic of this conversion on a Tornado but annoyingly I can't seem to find them. I will keep looking.
Can you post some more pics which show the whole setup as I can't see the inner ends of the wishbones. Can you post a pic taken from the front with the camera horizontal. Do you have rubber bush type wishbone inner ends or rose joints?
I have attached a pic of the front of SGT with ally uprights for comparison.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• SGT front with ally uprights.jpg
    SGT front with ally uprights.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 281
So after sending parts to Sgt to see where I was going wrong they came to the conclusion that the mk3 won’t work without compromising to much.

mick is sorting me out some mk2 uprights that are a standard fit by many. Problem sorted and only a week lost on the build

Back