Monocoques..Where did they come from ?

While talking with a couple of friends we got on the subject of chassis design. The conversation soon got around to Monocoques. None of us new who or what company used this concept first in racing or otherwise. So that's what brought me here. Googling didn't produce much in the way of history. Maybe somone on the board has information about this. Also is a unibody considered a form of a monocoque?

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was watching a cable channel yesterday and they mentioned Jaguar came out with a monocoque in the late 1950's.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Hersh,

Seems to me a unibody chassis is a monocoque as the oustide skins (roof, rear quarter panels, wheel arches, pillars) contribute to the structure. In fact without these you'd have no structure. Whereas in a tube frame you can remove all the panelling and still have a structure.

U-ni-bo-dy simple enough for John/Jane Doe consumer, Mo-no-cock too much to think about:)

This type of construction came from aircraft and I think Jaguar was the one of the first race car applicatons along with Bonneville Salt Flats racers made from aircraft wing fuel tanks...

Yes, it was definately before the little green men crashed at Area 51:)

Cheers

The Lotus Elite, first built in 1957, has an all fiberglass body and no chassis. The body was designed by Frank Costin with a cd of 0.29. The only bits of steel in the car are the drive train and the suspension. It made for a very lightweight car, but the body was very difficult to make.

The Elites constantly won the "Index of Performance" at Le Mans with a tiny 1.2 litre FWE Conventry Climax engine. In 1960, an Elite was built for Le Mans with a 2 litre FPF Conventry Climax engine. It had an estimated top speed of 170mph.

I believe that Colin Chapman was pioneer in this area as with so much else. I do not remember which model if it was Lotus 21 ,25 or some else model. Perhaps someone else can fill in.

Cheers
Henrik

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Colin Chapman is generally credited with the first use of a monocoque chassis in racing with his Lotus 19. The first car to use it was the 1923 Lancia Lambda. Citroen built the first mass produced example in 1934.The model was called the Traction Avant.

Pete, you beat me to it. My dad has a Laicia Lambda, and as you point out, it has a double skinned pressed sheet metal chassis. They were a pretty advanced car for their day.
On a lighter note, i reckon God created the first real Monocoque--- Adam: one man with one coque. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I found this article a good reference regarding Monocoque development, this reckons 1915 saw the single seater example web page

One point of personal interest is that a lot of articles mention Frank Costin and the elite plus some of his other designs, but interestingly his last few car designs, one of which I am working on is a spaceframe. I cant think that it was a cost implication either as its not an easy spaceframe to fabricate.

Cheers

Thanks to all of you guys for your help. This place is amazing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Back in those days it must have been an exorcise in engineering. It didn't really catch on until the technic of building them could be improved. With the advent of space age materials available today practically all F1, Indy and Champ cars are all Monocoque carbon fiber.
I know that when an F1 or indy car takes a minor hit they still scrap it if that chassis was compromised slightly. But what about cars like the ferrari or the McLaren F1. Do they get repaired or is the chassis replaced ? It appears to me that metal unibodies are repaired everyday in body shops every where as most cars are uni-body. So why is it that some folks say that a metal monocoque is difficult or not repairable when damaged. Is this just a salesmans ploy to sell a space frame or is there some truth to it ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A few bicycle and motorcylce manufacture produced Pressed steel frames during the early teens and 20's. This could be seen as the first instances of production based Monocoque. Pressed steel sections welded together to form a frame. It offered ease of Manufacture, lower cost and the ability to have lower seat hights than tube frames. Example manufacturer would be Aristos & Koster in Germany.

Doesnt the VW have a seperate frame and body?

D

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The simple definition is a mono uses stressed panels whereas the tube frame uses... tubes. Ian's explanation is excellent (using roof, inner fenders, floor pan, etc. to bear the loadings).

I believe the principle advantage to their adoption was that comparable chassis rigidity for a lighter weight at a lower cost. The alternate mode of construction when the mono gained popularity was the body on frame construction (think "truck") with a few outliers like Lotus who used spaceframes on some and their backbone structure on others. The backbone has a very strong structural member connecting the front and rear suspensions and drivetrain. This pic shows the concept for the Delorean, another backbone car:

chassis3sm.JPG

I believe structural advantages (rigidity), lighter weight for given structural properties, and cost to manufacture drove the change from body on frame to mono's.

As to repair vs. replacement of damaged mono's, the structural integrity of the tub is based on its material properties (though now that I wrote that, it seems rather obvious). The strength of a fiber-based (say, carbon-fiber or kevlar) depends on a number of things, basically summarized by saying the fibers can't be broken and additionally the resin or bonds between the different layers can't delaminate. If the fibers are broken or the bonds between the layers of fibers are compromised, you can't "weld in" another piece. The fiber-based mono's are particularly susceptable to damage by impactive forces due to the material's catastrophic failure mode (they don't bend much and are strong enough to take a lot of force, but when they DO break- BANG, all the force they were holding tears them apart). I'd be very hesitant to get in a patched up tub and strap in.

Metal mono's are different as their material properties allow deformation (useful for absorbing energy of impacts as well as straightening after an incident). If you bend a metal mono, the panels can (theoretically) be either straightend or removed and replaced. You may remember this thread showing the restoration of Jim's T70. His concerns with the mono were able to be repaired by replacing panels:

20857-Cnv0007.jpg

Had this been a carbon-fiber mono, this would not have been an option. As for what to do with carbon fiber mono road cars, I would assume the same criteria would apply. Check for damage and if any is apparent the whole mono would need to be replaced.

Sometimes even a metal mono is bent beyond saving. They can be pulled back into shape fairly closely but the ability to get all the dimensions within factory spec may not be possible. When insurance companies "total" a car, they figure the cost of paying someone to remove and replace the stuff that's way off is less than the cost to provide a new car and hence it's "unrepairable." Technically everything's repairable but not always economical. This would actually apply to mono's or a spaceframe.

Long winded but hopefully helpful...

Chris

The first use of monocoque construction is easy to figure out from the word itseld. Single Shell/Egg.
Now you have to deceide if the chicken, the egg, or the clam came first.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Staggering! I'm impressed with the responce to this question. There's as much entertainment as information, fatastic:) Plus I'm in a good mood this morning hahaha

Cheers

Chris,
Your explianation is very clear. Makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Ian, I'm with you...You can't beat the knowledge nor the entertainment factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK guys...one more wierd question and I'm done. When you look under an original GT the floorpan has these indented impressions going horizontal or perpendicular to the front. Also these same impessions are along the sconses (spelling?)
on the sides beneath the door. What is the purpose of these creases or impressions? Are the ones under the floor to keep the air from lifting the car at speeds?

Just one correction here.
The lotus elite did have a steel chassi, just that it was integral to the bodywork (bonded in), unlike the elan/europa that followed it, where they learnt some lessons, namely you can't easily repair/weld a steel chassis that's attached to a fibreglass shell without a fire of some sort...

[ QUOTE ]
Just one correction here.
The lotus elite did have a steel chassis, just that it was integral to the bodywork (bonded in), unlike the elan/europa that followed it, where they learnt some lessons, namely you can't easily repair/weld a steel chassis that's attached to a fibreglass shell without a fire of some sort...

[/ QUOTE ]
You might be thinking of the mid-70s Elite. The original Elite was all fiberglass, with a few small bits of steel embedded in the fiberglass to provide mounting points for the suspension and engine.

The Series 1 Europas had the body glued to the steel frame. It wasn't until the Series 2 Europas that they bolted the body to the chassis.

Back