MoTeC Products

Anyone using the MoTeC line of products? Appears to be useful for those desire custom design displays and documentation of racing logic and information.

I know of one builder who is going to use the complete Motec package, from ECU to display. Car hasn't been delivered yet, though, so no real progress.

I got the quote for the package I was wanting including the paddle shifter option, something over 10K not including the actual wiring harness. They also recommend using their installer which for me is in Kentucky or they will come to your location. Yes Fran, quite expensive. The question in my mind is the expense worth the results?

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I'm going with an end-to-end MoTec. I was going to go with stock ECU and RaceLogic but that plan ended when RaceLogic stopped shipping their traction control unit. I have a high-HP engine and TC is important to me. I started looking for another TC package and didn't find an add-on one that I liked so I started looking at MoTec. In the end I went with MoTec because they have a very high-quality, software-centric end-to-end system. Many features such as traction control are activated via a software, the ECU algorithms are pluggable etc. The dash creator is very cool – one of the best features is the ability to not show a gauge until it hits a threshold (you don’t want to know about it until you need to know about it).

As Will indicated, I don't have the car yet so I don't have any real experience yet. However my installer is incredibly knowledgeable -- seems that's what you get when you go with someone that primarily does MoTec project -- and everything seems doable... multiple tunes, custom gauges, traction control, data logging, PWM'd fuel pumps, etc. Looks like $16-20k for complete MoTec system with custom race/mil-spec wiring harness, sensors and tune. Last week FedEx delivered the latest rev of their C127 display. Apparently I got one of the first ones with ability to accept a video feed from a backup feed. Quality seems outstanding. I’ll update as I get more hands on experience.

Attachments

• Motec_1.jpg
    Motec_1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 204
  • motec_2.jpg
    motec_2.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 226

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a buddy that is really good at this and he swears by Mega Squirt systems. I would be looking into these if I was in the market. It is interesting to note that he hates Motec. His opinion is that they are way to expensive and have very limited support. It seems that they support professional race teams fairly well but it can be hard to get them in short notice to help a home build project.

Mega Squirt in a open source type product and works through a online support group. This product has really gained a lot of praise in the last few years because of it's large support network and relative low cost.

Worth a look IMHO.

MegaSquirt | Premier DIY EFI Controller

MegaSquirt(R) FAQ Main Page

https://www.diyautotune.com/

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/faq/which-megasquirt/

No....I don't sell these.

Last edited:

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
Howard makes a good point. MoTec doesn’t seem geared for DIY. However, they referred me to one of their installers who is extremely knowledgeable and has been very responsive. His view is that MoTec provides great products and the best support bar none. He mostly does installs for race cars/teams and higher-end builds. He has a GTM in his shop now. When he’s had critical issues he’s gotten support on weekends, holidays, 2am, etc. Would I or any DIY’er get that support? Hell no, but he does and I’m his customer. I wouldn’t consider doing MoTec unless you find an experienced MoTec installer that you’re comfortable with (I wish mine was located closer). IMO, the right installer takes the support issue off of the table. Only time will tell how well it all works out for me, but so far I’m happy with the decision.

If you’re looking at MoTec you should check out their M1 ECU rather than the M800 series. I was surprised at how much more modern its approach was than the M800 and its less expensive to boot. I wasn’t expecting that level of innovation from a company that’s as established as MoTec is.

I think open source is great and as a software guy I spend my life working with it. That said, the car is a big project in and of itself and I wanted this part to be a complete solution that’s as reliable as possible (IMO high HP requires excellent TC + Brembo GT brake upgrade etc.). Also, if you’re going with a high-quality, color 7” digital display (as opposed to retrofitted tablet) the price gap closes plus you’ll have zero integration issues with it. When I looked at the numbers the thing that stuck out to me the most was a custom harness vs. modifying the stock LS one. But since I have a supercharger and intended to instrument everything the MoTec/custom harness approach was worth it to me. Your mileage may vary.

When I look at all the different packages available nothing comes close to a complete MoTeC system. Granted I am not a expert but I do know what premium technologies looks like and how they apply to my particular needs. That is exactly the same reasoning I will use by going with Superlite SL-C LeMans. Fran Hill and his team are the best of the best at applying design with technology.

Back