NASA DE and TT modifications needed?

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Speaking to the person who runs NASA for the Texas Region earlier today - he was familiar with, and complimentary of, the SLC's from his experiences with them in full race trim at the nationals. I'm planning for a more street-oriented build that will see DE and time trial track events; and want to make sure I'm planning the build so it incorporates these requirements from the start.

For those of you who have run DE's and time trial events with NASA, can you share any pointers on changes you had to make?

Will gave me several items to look into - the one I'm specifically trying to get confirmation on is the seat brace for the non FIA-approved seat. He indicated the brace would be needed to run the DE and TT events, sent me this link as an example of what's used in some cars -

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/<wbr>products/seat-back-braces

Seems like there's such little space to work with there I'm surprised it would be required... has anyone had experience with this in the SLC?

Best,
John

One idea is just to get an FIA-certified seat, like the Tillet B6F. Doing so means you won't need a separate seat brace.

But getting a seat brace isn't really a big deal- I assume you have local fab shops in Texas as we do here in the Mid Atlantic that can easily whip up a brace as needed- probably connected to the existing roll hoop, maybe with some additional bracing back to the rest of the chassis.

One difference with the SLC compared to other cars with older, traditional tube frame cars is that many sanctioning bodies don't know how to account for the very different chassis design. Their rulebooks tend to be written with the Old Skool designs in mind; when a more modern design comes up, they struggle, and individual inspectors tend to start making stuff up that they think will be safe.

Probably the easiest solution is an FIA seat- then the entire issue of bracing may go away.

And you can swap out seats pretty fast for the street, if the car is dual purpose and the FIA seats are too confining for road use.

Back