Need Help on Renault 21 Gearbox

Hi,

Just taken my car out for a nice evening spin and the gearbox started to sound like it straight cut gears, so I brought it straight home to investigate and this is what I found, lots of oil and a hole.

It looks like the nut on the end of the fifth gear shaft has come undone, can anyone give me only advice on this.

The box is a Renault 21 UN1

Regards,

Chris.

Attachments

• GearBox.jpg
    GearBox.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 418
Yep - I wouldnt say its common, but I have heard of it happening before. Both nuts on the in/out shafts should be staked better than the factory method. Hopefully there is no major tooth damage from debris in the box.
Id just retorque, stake and weld the rear housing up!

Hi thanks for the advice, I have now taken the rear housing off and there is no gear damage any a large hole, so I'm know an the look out for a replacemnt rear housing, So if anyone has got one laying around.

Regards,

Chris.

I think you might find it quicker to repair than it will be to find another rear cover. If you do find a perhaps 'broken' R21t box, I'll take the 1st/2nd gear hub thanks. :)

Chris, I got one. Excellent condition, just covered in sawdust!!! I'm in Upminster, just over the Dartford bridge from kent. Gissa call.
Simon 07802 463848

Attachments

• gearbox-end.jpg
    gearbox-end.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 376
My opinion is that this kind of repair is extremely dangerous.
By welding you will have the casing constantly tensioned if you do not make a distensive heat treatment. On top of it who is garanting that the bearing position is moving too much in order to become a preloaded hypostatic mounting??? Results: overheatings, high frequency vibrations, premature bearings failures, etc...etc...
I wouldn't take the risc to put on the table the life of the users of the vehicle.
This gearbox is already so sub dimentioned for the application, if perfect......immagine after some bricolage made as written above.
Friends,
if you brake an engine you still have the possibility to bring home your ass by depressing the clutch. If the gearbox locks, try to have a quick agreement with the devil in order to pump up your luck factor.
Of course, it is only a suggestion and please do at your best convenience.
Ciao
Wanni

Back