Need Help - Re: welding on frame rails

I thought I'd move this question over from the transaxle thread I started with the pilot bearing question.

I was trying to mount my Kennedy Engineering starter in the DRB (289 + G50) - and it did not fit - interference with the frame rail. So, having looked at a more recient frame pic (Thanks to Dave S.) it seems that DRB has modified the frame in this area to let the starters clear.

So, my question is this - the car's almost complete - can I weld on the rear chassis (right by the rear A-arm mount point) with all of the electronics installed? (MSD 6-AL, radio, all gauges etc.?)

if I keep the ground point within 6 inches of where I'm welding would that be sufficient - also, the battery is NOT connected, so only ground connections would be present to the rest of the electronics - should not be any conduction paths that I can think of.

What about the HF caused by the arc itself?

Same basic question for my Plasma cutter - as that's what going to be used to do the "trimming"?

it would be a real pain to try to disconnect everything at this point!

Thanks in advance for the help / advice!

Dave H.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave,

I've never had any problem with MSD ignitions when welding on the chassis'.. However - This is a snip from MSD's support site:

Welding:
If you are welding on your vehicle, to avoid the chance of damage, always disconnect both Heavy Power cables of the MSD. (You should also disconnect the tach ground wire too).

Thanks Randy,

I'd read the info on the MSD site, but just wanted to check to be sure no one else had had other problems.

Regards,

Dave

Dave
Essentially everything near the arc becomes an antenna...I am assuming you are going to disconnect your battery. I would suggest that you also ground the chassis to a separate source such as a water pipe or electrical ground in your shop, you don't need a particularly large guage wire, just something to sink any stray radiation to ground. This is a problem I encountered when welding aluminum with high frequency arc, and grounding my work table solved it, and mig welding also emits RF but to a lesser degree. Plasma cutting can also emit some really spurious radiation as the arc voltage is much higher than most welders, but you should be OK with a good ground.
Hope this helps
Phil

Back