New, Cheap Engine for LMP/SLC

Audi has announced they will sell low-cost LMP1 engines to customers.

17467.jpg

The DTM V8 engine from Audi is to be used in the LMP1
© and courtesy of Audi

The new engines are based on Audi's DTM engines, so they are already well-tested, proven, reliable, and inexpensive. Great new choice for the SLC or the LM-P!

Here is the original article.
Audi bringt LMP1-Kundenmotor ab 2014 - - WEC bei Motorsport-Total.com

It is in German, so I have posted the translation (Thanks, Google Translate!):

"Audi is bringing customers LMP1 engine from 2014
Roman Witte Meier
26th September 2013 - 11.50 clock
The proven V8 engine from the DTM is used on long haul used: Audi comes to meet ACO and FIA

"(Motor -Total.com ) - The long-range scene is intensively preparing for the coming year . The LMP regulations only has sophisticated details in the racing calendar to be approved by the FIA World Council . That will return in 2014 as a manufacturer Porsche LMP1 in the scene and take up the fight against Audi and Toyota, is established. Unclear is the situation regarding private LMP1 teams. Only rebellion is on the safe side . The Swiss contact their R -One with Toyota engine .

"Are still many questions about the plans of Oak Pescarolo , adess , Lotus and Co. . From many sides there are declarations of intent , but also time and again , an indication that the financing of the respective LMP1 projects had not yet been secured . FIA and ACO want to make the commitment to private teams as tasty. This is among other things about the screw costs . According to information from 'Motor -Total.com' have therefore asked Audi to help the people responsible .

"The Ingolstadt will enable the cost- scene LMP1 engines. About partner Neil Brown Engineering (NBE ) a customer engine can be obtained , which has its roots in the DTM. The British company modified the four -liter V8 engine, which has been running since 2002 in DTM Audis for use on long-haul routes . The proven for over eleven years, engine is considered to be stable , compact and efficient. It should be offered without Audi branding, should therefore be unnamed.

"The nearly 500 -hp engine ( DTM version ) has always evolved in recent years in the tight corset of the regulations. It was mainly about friction optimization , power delivery and reduced fuel consumption . For private LMP1 teams , the unit is also interesting for another reason : it costs considerably less than the engines of the other providers . HPD requires multiples of the 2.2 -liter V6 turbo in 2014."

(edited by me for emphasis)

Les

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
"Inexpensive" is a relative term. I doubt "inexpensive" in LMP1 terms is anything close to crate LS3 inexpensive.

I know this is not a serious thread, buy if anyone was inclined to do such an install the retired NA Indy car engines would be a way (?) better deal. 4 liters at bargan prices and enough spares for years. Still, no torque for a car that size...

Last edited:
I know this is not a serious thread . . .
Not serious!

images

Mesa, when have you ever known me to be not serious! :drunk:

. . . buy if anyone was inclined to do such an install the retired NA Indy car engines would be a way (?) better deal. 4 liters at bargan prices and enough spares for years. Still, no torque for a car that size...

The article I quoted did not give any prices, but I think that the Audi engines are RELATIVELY inexpensive especially for the Superlight LM-P. The LM-P is a race car. Superlight does not want to merely embarrass a Ferrari/Corvette/Mustang at the stoplight, but compete against and beat other real LMP race cars, the best the competition can pull up with.

Just imagine: LM-P, Audi engine, less mass, lighter weight, better weight distribution, better handling, shorter braking, reliable rip-snorting horsepower. Result: Ryan and Co. blast down the track even faster!

images

Win for Superlight!

62-2012-24-hours-of-le-mans.jpg

Competitors slink into the night in shame.
Colen_05_LoRes.jpg

THAT'S what we want!

Les :)

It's only 500 HP. Plenty of SLCs run that on the street, and the 01 car has run as much as 700 HP in sprint races.

So that engine, as cool as it is, would be a step back from the good old reliable pushrod power that already powers the 01, and most of the track and street versions.

And, of course, you can buy complete, new crate engines with more power than that "DTM" special for circa the price of a rebuild of the Audi.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
So they are probably in the 30k to 45k range if they want to sell but I bet they want 80k for revenue and engineering recovery.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The LeMans 5 liter class used to run through 28mm restictors and they made around 500hp....once uncorked high 600's was easy.

As Tim says these should be pretty potent but still not sure about the "cheap" title

Back