New engine for the SLC

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Here a little more on the story.

How to build a Vette-based V-12 engine, the hard way | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

They have 2 running. One in a Suburban and one in a P-51 Mustang.

5 Motors in process.

"...the builders told LSX.TV the first to be finished is heading into a Datsun 240Z project, where it's expected to make more than 500 hp."

I really like the concept! But one would think, after going to all that work, the mill should pump out a bit more than 500 h.p.! No? (E.g.: The new Viper is advertised at 640 and it has fewer cubes...and a 'stock' ZO6 puts out over 500 by itself.)

I guess my point is one could put the same/less money into a physically lighter/smaller mill, end up with far more h.p., and have a far easier time as far as fitment.:shrug: Buuuuuuut, the 'WOW!' factor would be far less...

Mr. Buzz Killer :uhoh2:

The quote didn't say 500hp more, it said "more than 500hp". Whilst 1000hp is more than 500hp, I read it as meaning somewhere not significantly above 500hp. The quote could be wrong though.

I read on autoblog that the V12 in the Suburban (or whatever truck they put it in) produced around 550hp. Nothing on the torque, but I imagine it's well into the 600's.

Like other people are saying, a properly built LS7 will put out 600+ HP. I don't see the point other than being able to say you have an LS"12".

The new one uses a matted crank that is bolted together. So as I see it there are 12 cyl, so a V8 and then 4 more that are synced together. It should sound like a regular V8 with a little more thump due to the same firing. I do not see how that is going to sound any different with that crank. They did make one with a custom billet crank and cam so that might sound much better, but then the cost would be much much more and for that money you could have a F550 engine.

501 as well as 1000 is more than 500. I never said it made or will make 1000 hp. My point was that the original post I quoted took it that, "more than 500 hp," was taken as 500 hp. That could very well be true but seemed unlikely which is why i also stated 1000>500. Odds are the actual power lies somewhere in between, but I don't really care which is making me wonder why I even bothered to post in the first place, let alone this time.

Blah.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Aaaaaaaaaaah...I now see what you were getting at. Like Roger (above), I originally saw the article's "500 h.p." stmt as meaning that's just about what the V-12's h.p. output would be...somewhere in that area.

Had you originally said, "501 as well as 1000 is more than 500", THAT would have (as now!) made your meaning clear to this 'slow' ole goat!:chug:

Last edited:
I've actually wondered about the possibility of doing something similar.

What if...........

You took two relatively cheap V6 engines (say J37 Honda Engines. They are very light (I've been told 270lbs or so,, maybe less), and weld tow together, you'll have a 650hp 7.4L V12.

That is impressive, How street-able is it? How much vacuum are you getting at idle? Didn't say it was impossible, just took a LOT of work, and wouldn't be fun to cruise/put around town.

1000hp out of 8.9L, is 112hp/L. That's Honda/Ferrari/Porsche territory. The hard part would be to make it possible to drive on the street (idle, vacuum, pump gas, ect).

Back