New Ford GT SuperCar (Hybrid)

Hybrid and part time AWD or FWD (on electric only) isn't what I would think GT purists would swallow. Now companies need to STOP with all of this hybrid nonsense. It also reminds me of a basking shark

Not so different from this Porsche...and there were over 1,000 people in "no time" who lined up to buy this "hybrid" at a whopping $600K!!! So, if Porsche can do this, why not Ford, right?

Not so different from this Porsche...and there were over 1,000 people in "no time" who lined up to buy this "hybrid" at a whopping $600K!!! So, if Porsche can do this, why not Ford, right?

Mobile Magazine's tone was very partial and reflects the sad opinion most persons hold regrading American cars.
The writing discredit's this endeavor with claims of it being:

"Detroit Muscle" - Nothing muscular about electric motors & Li ion packs...

"Meant for Straight Line" - Weight reduction, low body work, and that rear diffuser suggest otherwise...

"Not worthy to compete with Ferrari's" So exotic is only synonymous with Italian?

Kind of makes me sick.

Mobile Magazine's tone was very partial and reflects the sad opinion most persons hold regrading American cars.
The writing discredit's this endeavor with claims of it being:

"Meant for Straight Line" - Weight reduction, low body work, and that rear diffuser suggest otherwise...

"Not worthy to compete with Ferrari's" So exotic is only synonymous with Italian?

Kind of makes me sick.

...yeah, I agree. Who cares, right? If Ford builds this car, let's see what really happens when it spanks some of these exotics :laugh:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

I don't think you know very much about electric motors...

What's not muscular about 100% Torque at ZERO RPM?

Looking at this electric motorcycle conversion of mine - you'd be hard pressed to know that it weighs 500# and with a 200# rider on it - it will do 0 to 60 MPH in under 4 seconds...

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

---

BTW - My Daily Driver is a Hybrid...

I don't think you know very much about electric motors...

What's not muscular about 100% Torque at ZERO RPM?

Looking at this electric motorcycle conversion of mine - you'd be hard pressed to know that it weighs 500# and with a 200# rider on it - it will do 0 to 60 MPH in under 4 seconds...

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

---

BTW - My Daily Driver is a Hybrid...

You took my words out of context.
I am WELL aware of EV potential. My father owned an EV-1 and my neighbor has let me drive his Tesla Roadster. I've dealt directly with AC propulsion many times. I see Electric advancement innovative - not a bastard concoction (the manner in which the article presented it because the car was "american").

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I actually picked up an Auto Express today as it had Gotd Gt on the cover

Very little written and more a concept as I read it

Ian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The article said "Since it is Detroit muscle, you can be sure that this mid-engined supercar is designed to tackle the straights and not the twisties."

Mobile Magazine's tone was very partial and reflects the sad opinion most persons hold regrading American cars.....

Maybe most people, but not anyone of consequence. This guy Michael Kwan is a writer for an electronic gadget magazine, after all. He is either aware of such "Detroit Iron" as the Ford GT, in which case he's guilty of idiotically bad logic, or he's not aware of them in which case who cares what he thinks? I think his writing should not be dignified with any further consideration of ours.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Hybrid and part time AWD or FWD (on electric only) isn't what I would think GT purists would swallow. Now companies need to STOP with all of this hybrid nonsense. It also reminds me of a basking shark

I have to agree, I don't see the idea of mating electric and IC motors together as anything other than an awkward and temporarty bandaid, and from an engineering point of view certainly difficult, but certainly not interesting or esthetically pleasing. On the other hand I have to admit having found the turbine/electric Jaguar a conceptually much purer and therefore more interesting vehicle. To me it's a hybrid combination that actually makes some sense.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry I read you wrong Ryeno...

Evidently you understand that Muscle does not necessarily require the consumption of petroleum...

Alan - I respectfully disagree... I think the two technologies compliment each other quite nicely...

Electric motors can, indeed, be used as Power Adders - every bit as much so as Turbo or SuperChargers or Nitrous Oxide... Even as the Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems of Formula 1 cars...

Hey Randy,

How far will your cycle go on a charge?

R

Hey Ron, It's highly dependent on how it's ridden and what "tune-up" I have in the controller.. Running it balls to the wall it would have maybe 10 to 15 miles in it.. Riding sensibly with a 200 AMP Max draw programmed in, it will go 40 miles or more..

I'm in the process of stripping this particular bike and have a much lighter (and titled as well as registered with plates) Kawasaki ZX600R that will be the recipient of the motor and 72 volts worth of batteries..

The state of Minnesota refused to title the bike since it was bought as salvage. So - There will be one Honda CBR rolling chassis for sale this coming summer...

Randell,

I am SHOCKED ,,,,,,,Your bike is EXCELLENT (not kidding for once!!).

It is good to see you have ditched the “Fartly Porkerson” for a Real bike.
You also mentioned reducing weight (another excellent idea). However your approach is WRONG. America being a nation of FAT LARDLY people, reducing ones girth would go much further than thinking about the bike’s weight.

The 600s generally weigh about 340lb, about the same size as an American teenager.
Most old (70-90) male Americans I have seen are actually in pretty good shape!!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan - I respectfully disagree... I think the two technologies compliment each other quite nicely...

Electric motors can, indeed, be used as Power Adders - every bit as much so as Turbo or SuperChargers or Nitrous Oxide... Even as the Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems of Formula 1 cars......

I don't disagree with anything you just said, although I'm no more fond of super and turbo chargers, and especially NOS, than I am of IC hybrids. I'm not saying they don't work. I'm saying from the point of view of mainstream automobile design they're all a dead-end side-trip in technological progress. My point(s) is this:
  1. We got here out of a desire to increase fuel mileage (and ended up doing so by a relatively small amount) and in the process injected a gross increase in complexity and cost. (As for F1, the Ford car that started this thread, Porsche, etc: I think all that's motivated by a defensive desire to appear environmentally responsible and hip, and to take financial advantage of the current "coolness" of hybrids.)
  2. Looked at in the context of the history of locomotion, the hybrid "era" will be seen as a brief hiccup in the purity and elegance of automotive mechanical archictecture that came about only because of a brief confluence of technology and natural resources; just like canal transport was a "hiccup" between horse-drawn carriage and the steam railroad. A few more years and the production state of the art will be plug-in electric and/or fuel cell driven, and people will laugh at hybrids the way we laugh at the Stanley Steamer.
However, those of us (GT40s.com) still around, myself included I hope, will still be messing around with IC cars, turbochargers, etc. etc. if we can still afford and can find gasoline.

Ron Earp

Admin
. Running it balls to the wall it would have maybe 10 to 15 miles in it.. Riding sensibly with a 200 AMP Max draw programmed in, it will go 40 miles or more..

Awesome! Where I can learn about building these? What is the voltage so I can figure power?

That is further than I thought. I suppose you don't need a transmission at all?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Phali - I still have a number of other bikes - none of them are Hogs though...

However, those of us (GT40s.com) still around, myself included I hope, will still be messing around with IC cars, turbochargers, etc. etc. if we can still afford and can find gasoline.

Alan - I'm still turning $$$ into Hydrocarbons at a rate that makes most Green folks turn red...
I'm just open to other forms of propulsion.. The lure of electric - to me - is quite strong... Maybe it's because I can't afford to build my own version of the Chrysler Turbine car - although I came very close to buying a Max-Time Allison 250 for just such a project..

Awesome! Where I can learn about building these? What is the voltage so I can figure power?

That is further than I thought. I suppose you don't need a transmission at all?

The voltage in mine is 72 (6 - 12v Yellow Top Optimas)... My controller is good for 450 AMPS.. I've gleaned a lot from the Web..
EV Forum;
Electric Car Forum and Electric Vehicle Community

And DIY EV Forum;
DIY Electric Car Forums Site Home

Of the two forums, I think the second one has more information that's usable for projects like mine..

There are also books on how to perform the conversions.. I've got one called Secrets of El-Ninja that has some good info.. A number of people make kits - their margins are relatively high in the grand scheme of things, but you would also get some level of support from them.

One thing that turns away a lot of people is the cost of a motor...

Transmission -
No, you don't need one. However - to get really good performance as well as decent top end, you'll need one. My bike is good for about 70 MPH, however, it is really screaming well above the rated speed of the motor. It will not maintain that speed for long without throwing solder and coming apart.
I'm currently trying to source a relatively lightweight transmission that will take the weight and torque.. I may end up stripping the transmission from the old 600 engine in the Kawasaki if I don't find something else.. Shame to destroy a nice engine like this - but - what do you do....

Sorry for getting so far off topic...

Back to Hybrids -
My 2007 Camry Hybrid has a 140 HP 4 cylinder ICE and 90 HP worth of AC Traction motors... The car carries 5 full sized (we're talking 6+ foot) adult men. It also delivers 44+ MPG when driven nicely and 40 MPG when driven more aggressively..
Now fuel economy is one thing - but performance is another...
I instruct at a performance driving school up at Brainerd International Raceway.
We used to use our own vehicles to give instructional rides.. With 4 of us in the car (all full grown men 180+ pounds) we took the Camry up to 130 MPH before the computer speed limiter reduced the throttle setting (it's drive by wire).. The performance was actually quite exhilarating and surprised us all..
Some magazines have tested the straight line performance of this car in the mid 15 seconds for the quarter mile. Don't look now, but those are times that the Corvette was turning in the early 80s...

Well - That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Back